Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after owning 2 1995 Range Rover Classics I switched to a 1997 DIscovery XD. It was a fun LR, but I just sold it to go back to a 1995 Range Rover Classic (which I still have to find.. ggrrrr)..

Allow me to expand...

The XD was fun. It drove like new and was very well taken care of. For the 6 months and 5,000 miles that I had it, it gave me no problems whatsoever. I drove it daily to work up some curvy mountain roads and a bit of freeway. I loved the look of it. I got looks, waves and complements from people all the time. It got about 14-15 MPG and every single thing on it worked great.

So why did I sell it??? Well for one the power was seriously lacking in the XD's 4.0 compared to the RRC's 4.2. Then there was the fact that I felt the RRC just looked so much tougher and meaner. The XD also handled like a sponge on back roads. Probably due to the 2" lift and OME medium suspension, higher center of gravity and all. The RRC was much more solid. The back seat room of the RRC is immense... not that I carry people around. I just found the RRC a much better all around vehicle for me. I don't go rock crawling, but I do need to be able to fold the seats down from time to time and load stuff into the back. RRC wins this one on space. Power.. again, the power of the 4.2 was sorely missed. Also the XD was so nice I constantly had to cover it (would not fit in my garage with the roof rack) or just worry about where I parked it.

I am very happy to have sold the XD. It was fun, but I did not enjoy it nearly as much as I did the RRC. That's my .02 cents on this...

·
Registered
388 Posts
If I were to do it all over again, I'd get a '95 SWB. :eek:

You're right about the 4.2 vs. the 4.0. I always thought my 4.2 was kinda slow until I drove my friends 4.0. The 4.0 Disco was definetely slower in acceleration espeically on the highway.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SCSL said:
What's next your list?

I see you in a soft-top 90 with a mint right-hand-drive Series vehicle on the side. :drink1:
I'd love a D110 or a 109. I like the wagon look. However I don't want to spend $45k+ on a D110 and I have not seen a decent 109 locally yet.. soooo

Looking for a '95 LWB as we speak.. have a line on one with a new 4.2 engine, F&R diffs, viscous coupling etc.. need to get it checked out next week...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Serg, Having owned both a 93 LWB RRC and a 97 XD, I know where you are coming from. I personally like my Xd better. The LWB had gobs of power and got decent mileage, even with a 3 inch lift, big tires and a roof rack. I mostly do highway driving with some off roading from mild to hardcore mixed in and I found that the interior in the vacinity of the driver on the LWB was lacking in terms of secure storage space for stuff like my wallet, cell phone etc. However, the LWB was a superb off roader and was very reliable. It had its problems, mainly due to rust in the tailgate and rear area. The XD on the other hand, had more miles and was more worn than the RRC when i got it. I actually put on smaller tires than stock, because I got a deal (free) on a set of brand new michelin 205's from a RRC. While both trucks are way over engineered in most aspects, I like the Disco's layout better. Space is comparable to the rrc with the seats folded and loading items such as my bike are much easier with the swing out door vs the dropgate which always limited how far I could reach into the truck (I'm short) I did like driving the RRC better, mostly because it was solid as a rock with OME heavy springs and bilstein shocks, even with the swaybars removed, while the disco, even with the same suspension setup tends to roll a lot more even with sway bars. I'm not sure if the skinny tires make this worse or not. The interior on the Disco is awesome. Everything is within easy reach and the seats are more comfortable than the RRC's.
I'm more of a traditionalist and I actually like driving dads 110 better than both the disco and rrc. This is why I want to build a 109. As for the rarity of the XD, I know of 3 within 10 miles of where I live and 2 more further north in maine. I guess a lot of them ended up here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sergs previous 95 is here!

Hi Serg, I can't believe you want another 95!

I have your previous 95 with the new 4.0 engine. I knew I paid more for it then you paid when I bought it, just didnt tell ya and I love it.

Why did you sell it?????????????????

Discos are great but classics RRs are better (ducking...)

I put a lot of time into this beast and now it is one mean machine. :buttrock:
Would never buy a new one! :)

Here is a partial run down of things I did to this presumably near perfect 95 which when I bought it this spring from Serg already had a lot of work done to it including a new engine (see the link in Sergs signature):

Rebuilt the interior including headliner, all wood redone, seat heaters fixed and topped with nice super comfy sheepskins. most Dash squeeks squeeks fixed, lights fixed still working on the stereo and much more.
New tailgate (old one up for grabs, very minor rust on bottom lip, make offer).
Rebuilt rear brakes. Replaced all hydraulic and oil lines.
Rebuild all leaks. All new steering. Overfinch steering wheel (used, not new! ;) )
Lost the airbags for ome's, the air is just to stiff for Baja driving!
Rovertym bumpers, modified with class 3 receiver in front for removable warn winch. Rovertym rock sliders and welded on dif protectors.
Arb lockers front and rear. with the switches in the eas panel, duplicate eas panel instead of ashtray for future lighting project.
Steering damper relocated. Custom drag link.
Euro Hellas with HIDs (the real deal) in stock hi/lo locations with the fogs mounted underneath the bumper.

still working on it and I do have questions for you guys and gals in a different part of this forum one of these days.

It drives wonderful and goes anywhere in style and comfort. And off road it is more comfy then anything and I have driven many 4wds on bad roads. Its amazing how far this thing will go on the stock michelins! I have many storys to tell about that in 13 years on RR ing as I have to drive rather bad roads to get out of my place every day, bad enough for many other to have gotten stuck were I rovered right on through.

Don't buy new but keep these on the road. Properly repaired and maintained they will last forever and give you lots of pleasure. Stop parting them out and put them the parts on ebay, its a sin, really. :mad: maybe its good for me ... :)

I do admit that for a very short time I was not sure what to do with my original 88 classic which I have owned since 92 but a single search on the net instantly changed my plans from "should I sell" to "no brainer, its a keeper" and then some. I will rebuild it for my mom (she deserves it).

Serg, I know you would LOVE to have this back... but, sorry, its not for sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.