Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone that may be able to give me any advice on my 91 Range Rover 3.9SE which has developed a knock or tapping when the engine is running?
Could this be a cam-shaft problem or tappets?
Is there any person in the Midlands UK that may be able to help me with solving and repairing the problem. I am a keen Range Rover enthusiast who would ideally like to learn how to repair and service my current Rangie. There really is nothing quite like them. Once you have had one you cant bring yourself to be without one.
Please contact me if anyone could be of any help please. I dont like to use it whilst it is like this and am suffering withdrawal symptoms.
Captain.
[email protected]

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
tappets

Hello,it does sound like a cam and tappet problem replacements are not expensive and are a pleasant job to replace. I could help but am in Carlisle :dunno:
Cheers Onz

·
Registered
489 Posts
Better hope its not a steel cylinder liner making the sound or you'll be just like me: looking at a new engine. Since mine started knocking it lasted about 30k miles before coolant is burned, scoring cylinder walls, wrecking engine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Could well be the valve gear. What milage is on the engine? And has it been serviced regularly?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dear God. Before you go thinking your engine is near death, why not check all the simple things first, and try to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from? Who knows, it could be something as simple as an exhaust leak, or a pulley bearing.

Without knowing exactly where the sound is coming from, it could be just about anything.

Maybe it's even low on oil or the oil flow is a bit restricted.

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmm.

If a V8 is making tapping and knocking sounds 95% of the time its cam and followers there is little else that will make this noise (except for loose liners :D )
To say an engine is near death due to a worn cam is a little dramatic considering you can swap a cam and followers in less time than you can fit an exhaust (especially if its a paddocks one :complain: .)
Its an easy straight forward task that can be carried out in a morning at a nice leisurely pace.
I have replaced cams on vehicles with only 70k on them usually caused by poor servicing.
Its aways the rearmost lobes that wear first and quickest due to poor lubrication I have seen lobes that are round they have been that worn!

ONZ out

RoverGuy78 said:
Dear God. Before you go thinking your engine is near death, why not check all the simple things first, and try to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from? Who knows, it could be something as simple as an exhaust leak, or a pulley bearing.

Without knowing exactly where the sound is coming from, it could be just about anything.

Maybe it's even low on oil or the oil flow is a bit restricted.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Could it be as simple as low oil in the sump??

SUPER SIMPLE...

:beer:

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
possible but not probable

To make the tappets clack due to low oil is highly unlikely usually even engines with low oil pressure with the oil light on dont cause tappet clack (mebbe its drowned with big end rumble).
So low oil level I doubt will cause the problem.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Are we sure it's the engine?
When I had a loose bolt on my exhaust my truck sounded like it was loosing a valve with serious tapping. Tightened them up and sound went away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Being a pessimist I jumped to the worst case scenario recently when my 4.2 V8 was making a loud and ominous tapping noise. Turned out to be an exhuast leak. Every nut on my exhuast manifold needed tightening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts