Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new member here and just had an incident with my sport.

I usually keep my sunroof closed but today it was cool at night so I wanted to open it for few minutes and enjoy the fresh air.

I got home and as I parked the car tried closing the sunroof. The roof as it was closing it stopped and opened again. I clicked again to close it but it went few inches and reopened again.

What I didnt understand was that the sunroof was hitting something hence it was opening telling me that it would jam. So me being stupid clicked and holded the close button firmly until it was about to close (1 inch left) and it just got stuck. I cant open it or close it. I dont even hear the motor operating when I click on open or close. I also noticed the rubber peace on the left side was out of its place. I tried fixing it but its jammed pretty bad and I cant get it to work,.

Has anyone had this happen to them before and is there a way I can fix this? I have no time to take it to the dealer and really dont want to spend like $500 for a silly mistake :dunno:

Thanks - also if anyone is in the so cal area and has a shop or can fix it let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since my rover is 08 and under 30k, I believe its still under warranty. I got it used two months ago. Would something like this fall under the warranty? I was just looking at the pricing and if its the motor it will cost over $700 for the part alone and the housing itself is few hundred as well...either way I'm screwed but if its still under warranty and if it covers, that would be great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Broken Sunroof

08 Sport,

Turn the ignition on and hold the "close" button for up to 45 seconds. This will start an initiation process that may fix your issue. If you can see something jamming the panel try and remove it. Otherwise it's off to the dealer. It should still be under the factory warranty.(4years/50,000 miles) Good luck. ibis1;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi ibis1, thanks a million...that helped to close it and when I try to reopen it gets jammed again. I'll try to remove that little plastic and try to fix it. Thank God its not the motor or anything serious. Thank you so very much!

·
HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
Typically Sunroof Motors Generally only have issues because of Age & Heat Damage.

It would not be out of the question or uncommon for a Factory Sunroof Wind Deflector to hit the glass head on when the Glass comes forward.

After Market Wind Deflectors are more effective than the Mechanical Deflector.

** Test Your Roof - Next time you open the sunroof and then begin to close the sunroof use a small screw driver and see if you can push down the Factory Wind Deflector as the Sunroof Glass Glides over it to the Closed Position or have a 2nd person from the top of the roof lightly push down on the Mechanical sunroof deflector , If you get good results from that then you will know the problem is the Factory Wind deflector.

It may be that your Sunroof Glass is out of adjustment in the front and needs to be adjusted just a bit higher to slide over the Deflector.

Let me know what you find. Bill

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
those sunroof motors operate on amperage. To much amperage draw causes them to shut down. Either something is in the way or a sunroof guide is cracked and starting to flex. Seen it in older LR3s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
08 Sport,

Turn the ignition on and hold the "close" button for up to 45 seconds. This will start an initiation process that may fix your issue. If you can see something jamming the panel try and remove it. Otherwise it's off to the dealer. It should still be under the factory warranty.(4years/50,000 miles) Good luck. ibis1;)

THIS IS AWESOME!!!! :clap::clap::clap::drive: IT FIXED MY SUNROOF !!!! I HAVE 2006 RANGE ROVER SPORT SPRCHRGD ,AND MY SUNROOF STOPPED WORKING AFTER I FOLLOWED STEPS ABOVE IT WORKED .
THANK YOU MY FRIEND I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.... YYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSS FIXED

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome easy range rover sunroof fix

08 Sport,

THIS IS AWESOME!!!! :clap::clap::clap::drive: IT FIXED MY SUNROOF !!!! I HAVE 2006 RANGE ROVER SPORT SPRCHRGD ,AND MY SUNROOF STOPPED WORKING AFTER I FOLLOWED STEPS ABOVE IT WORKED .
THANK YOU MY FRIEND I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.... YYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSS FIXED

·
Registered
1 Posts
THANK YOU!! Fixed my sunroof

08 Sport,

Had my 2006 RR Sport booked in to get the sunroof fixed...looked it up and saw this advice...tried it and FIXED!! THANK YOU!!:wave:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2008 Range Rover Sport. My sunroof got stuck when I tried to tilt open it not realizing the seal was frozen with ice. It partially opened and got stuck. I could not open or close it and was getting no response when pressing the open/close switch. After finding and reading this post, I followed the suggestion to hold the button for 45 secs and it worked! I had to do it twice though, as the first time it opened the sunroof. The second time, it closed it. Now, the sunroof is working normally. I immediately cancelled the appointment I made with the dealer while freaking out and getting hysterical like a beotch about what I thought it was gonna cost me at the dealer to get it fixed ;-) My warranty expired last year ... Thank you soooo much ibis1 !!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
45 second fix a godsend

This 45 second trick is a GODSEND! I just fixed my 2008 Supercharged sunroof. I'm upstate new York and its February. Yup, Partially frozen. I hit the switch to open it, and the back of the sunroof lowered about 1/2" and the whole thing stopped. I checked the fuse. It was good. I stopped by a local dealer who said it was probably frozen. He suggested I try to defrost it. I did that in a heated garage. Nothing. I stopped back and he wanted to charge me an hour labor to 'diagnose' it. He said the motor could have seized. That sounded just wrong. So to this board I came, and BAM... 37 seconds after holding down the close button, my sunroof came alive again. Would it have killed the service guy to ask a tech and maybe just come out and try the 45 second thing???? Seriously. Thanks loads for posting that!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
08 Sport,

Thanks My Friend!
You are a Superstar! I've been changing fuses and scratching heads. The old 45 second trick works a treat, in fact it took about 25. Happy days

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 RR SC stuck sunroof

thank you for posting the 45 second re-set fix! it worked wonderfully on my 2011 sport supercharged with stuck sunroof due to extremely cold temps. don't have to spend tons of $$$ at the dealer now. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
WOW, thank you thank you whoever said to to hold buttton down for 45 mins. I had the same issue on my 07 Rover sport, where it closed an inch short and it’s been this way for probably a year LOL
Anybody know how to fix my driver side window that won’t go down? 🙏

·
very disco
1,943 Posts
@Julski4fun check the wiring splices in the passenger door sill. they get wet and corrode and disintegrate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much ibis1!!! I was sure that I would need an appointment at the dealer but I just thought I would check the Land Rover forums first and the 45 second trip saved the day! I got the sunroof stuck open in our 2008 Land Rover LR3 in the middle of January in PA. It was really cold without this fix haha 🥶 Thanks again!!!😄

1 - 17 of 17 Posts