Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use my dads '91 Range Rover that he originally baught for hunting purposes. I really like this car and I have been putting x-mas/b-day money in the bank since I was 10 to buy my first car along with jobs. I used to want a used bmw 325 or something, but now I like the versatility of the Range Rover. I figure my first car will probably need to last me through college. I have looked into both the early discoII series and the early models of the SE/HSE series range rover (around $10K). It seems that the Rover is a better road car along with a nicer interior, but I hear about a lot of problems with them (my classic had 2 in the last 6months...minor...acceptable for me with the a newer car). Also, I plan on converting the air suspension if i get one. I met a guy with a disco a week ago, and it seems that those are a little more reliable and have a lot more aftermarket parts available. Gas mileage, roadhandling and acceleration don't matter to me since i've seen the worst it can be with my classic (no offense), but I want something that won't cost too much to maintain (I porbably wil take it to a shop since I won't have time to fix things myself), <$1500/yr in maintanence.

I don't know much about the discoII series, so If you recommend that, please give some reasons why.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well from what I've read/heard Series II's are much more reliable since they have a BMW designed powerplant from my understanding. The electronics were switched from Lucas to Bosch which improved things and some rear signals were moved too but I'm not positive whether it was from pillars to bumper or vice versa. I'm sure I'm nmissing stuff but this is a start. Good Luck !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Disco II

Disco II is supposed to be a pretty reliable car. It is less complex than a Range Rover, so it is also more reliable. The later year model you buy the better. The powerplants are not BMW, but later model Rover ( as in same as Range Rover). However, the Range Rover powerplant is not where they expreience their problems, so don't worry about BMW vs RR powerplant. BMW is newer tech and more efficient, but no known diff in reliability.

Disco II moved tail lights from rear bumper to rear post. Check the carfax on the car and the service records before you buy. Dont buy a car that was not maintained properly

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Well, I better put the flame suit on for this one. I love my Disco 2, don't get me wrong. BUT, if you are buying one for your first vehicle and to utilize while going through college, you might be better off with something a little more reliable..

With that being said, there is absolutley no way I would own one of these without a full bumper to bumper warranty. I have had mine in the shop more times than I care to remember. Granted, nothing that would have left me stranded on the side of a road, but broken is broken none-the-less.

I have had several electrical issues, leaking fluid issues, transmission issues, and the one that sucked the most, was the drivers window fell off the track in the door. The dealer told me this was very common on the disco's and it wouldn't have been bad if it wasn't 10 below zero outside and the dealer is 32 miles away.. All this fun and only 41K on the odometer.

Gas mileage is awful and the service requirments are way more expensive than any of my Audi's. Looking forward to my 45K service for around $600...

BTW, the 4.0 Disco 2 as well as the 4.6 use the old Buick blocks, not BMW's. You can get a BMW powered Rover starting the 2003 model year for the Range Rover.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My experience is basically that on an early P38A (ie 4.0/4.6 RR), you'll have to expect approx 2k per year or so in dealer serivce costs, less if you're in an area that has a good privateer mechanic.

I can not emphasize the need for a good serivce history strongly enough. With a goot history (especially if the biggie 96k service was done on time), 100k+ miles on a Rangie is as good as new imo.

since you've got a Classic already, I'd say stick with the devil you know. Go for a '95 County LWB, they have a lot more parts availability 3rd-market than the P38A's and to my mind, being slightly simpler, have better reliability.

As far as the choice between a used P38A & Disco goes, I'd say go either with a 99-> Rangie (ie go with the Bosch electronics, not the Lucas random faultfinding), or a Disco II. Both made significant improvements in all sorts of areas. But for each of them servicing becomes costly - vastly more complicated cars - especially electrically - than the Classic.

My choice, '95 LWB for road use any day. And I'd keep (and pay to service) the air suspension. Some luxuries are worth the hassle / money. Just find a rich signifcant other, replace all the rubber / tubing after purchase together with the sensors, then you'll be good to go in pure comfort.

Oh, and I totally agree. Owning a Landie of any kind without the best extended warranty you can find is a recipe for financial insecurity. Bear in mind that most dealer mechanics will charge in excess of $100 / hour. There are warranties out there that will cover that however. Doesn't take long to make your money back, even if they can cost upwards of $2.5K for 2-3 years cover!

Whichever way you decide, good luck.

(And borrowing the flame suit)... then again, you might want to spend your college years in somehting equally as fun and Lucas exciting, say an early 70's MGB, just to keep in practice...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Disco II fantastic, I bought a second one recently to replace the Freelander that my wife used as I think it is one of the most underrated off road vehicles.

Most people think of it as a school run bus, which a lot of people tend to use it for.

If there are any new SII Discos available they should be going cheap from the dealers as they want to off laod before the LR3 comes into the shops.

I have 80,000 Km on my 2002 Disco with no major complaints, and it came with (as the new one) a three year 100,000 Km warranty.

The only thing I pay for is fuel, and that is fairly cheap out here :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts