Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm a Disco guy who is getting a RR next weekend to use as a project truck for the trails. After seeing Mark and Roland in their RR's and speaking further with them, I decided to go ahead and get a "slightly used" RR to rebuild from the ground up. Now, I have several years to do this since my oldest is only 10-1/2 and I promised him the Disco when he comes of age. My questions to the RR group are as follows...

If you have had the opportunity to compare the RR to the Disco in terms of offroading, which did/do you prefer and why?

What lift (springs/shocks/articulation) set up seems to be the best? More for rock crawling.

Other than protection, what other mods have you guys found to be the best or most needed?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, she will basically be for offroading - as long as I can drive her to where ever I am going - duh, that makes sense! What I mean is, I don't want to build something that I have to trailer to a site. I want to be able to do anything with her that I so choose - within reason of course! Yes, Moab, Rubicon and everything else.

After seeing Roland's '77 (I think) and Mark's '88 (I like Roland's bobtail with 35" tires) I decided to get one to build up into a good offroader. I watched them do some amazing things with the trucks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
do you know what kinf of RTI

those two Rovers are getting?

Also what is your tolerance for noise? Tire Size?

Are you doing new axles,lockers, more # splines, different transfer case?

or are you just doing new trailing arms, springs, tires and hittin the trail.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy, I am going to go thru the whole truck, rebuild motor, intall lockers, gearing, lift for articulation and tires, and everything in between. I have a few years to do this project since I can run trails in my Disco. Everything, except for the motor rebuild and installation of the lockers and gearing, will be done by myself. I want to learn to do all this stuff myself so I have more $ for the mods I want to do. I am not into looks and I don't care about road noise. This will not be a daily driver but a toy to haul the family offroad and camping.

As far as transfer case...that one I am not sure of and could use feedback/suggestions when the time comes...actually as I take on each part of the project, I will be asking for feedback/suggestions.

If you have any now, I'll take it.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I think AAXD could weigh in here too, but, Mod for Mod, I am inclined to say the RRC is a more capable truck. We have had one of each for a sufficient time to see that. As longs as it's in good order, a Borg Warner transfer case is equal to a LT230, and it's one less thing to worry about, wondering whether you should lock or not. It is so quick you could react that fast.
My only suggestion would be to look for one of the more simple models like the Great Divide, or a Hunter model, as there are a bit less electronics to worry about. If you get a newer one, deffinately change out the air suspension for coils. Shocks is a pretty subjective thing, though my son and I like Bilsteins and have them on everything.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terry,
Two things:
1 - Borg Warner v. LT230 - I have no idea what you are talking about.
2 - Hunter and Great Divide Models - what years did they make those and what makes them more formidible vehicles?

Thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
X: Some advice:

Like Terry said go pre 1993 - especially if it is not your daily driver. Mine is a daily driver and a 95LWB...with Bilstein's - like Terry I found them to be the best - OME would be a 2nd choice. The only beauty about the later models is mine has the LSD - a very capable substitute for diff locks until you want to install them. ALSO, the older models are able to be a little more mod'd out due to the lack of electronic parts and actuators you need to worry about.

A few things to concern yourself with:
Rust - like all, ensure the footwells and the rear tailgate do not have too much - they are the main areas
Engine - if you are going to replace/redo not much thought is needed BUT the 4.2L engine is awesome - and it is basically a Buick so parts are relatively easily sourced.
Tranny - Mine has the ZF - a German bullet proof model
Electronics - if it has them they will go wrong - look into replacing the front seats with a better (lower cushion) seat especially if you are over or near 6ft tall - this also eliminates the electronic adjustment and the heated seats.

Like Terry said - the RRC is a much more capable rig off road (mod for mod) than the Disco - IMHO - I have driven both and those that off road a lot know this also. Also it has better room, and a better viewing angle - the only drawback being in the LWB where you substitute interior roominess for a slight decrease in attack/departure angles.

Rovertyme has some more than excellent aftermarket parts for the RRC - Lifts/Bumpers/Winches/Sliders etc......hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
RoverX,
1987-1988 RR came with the 3.5L and LT230 TC (like your disco). 89 and up came with larger engine (3.9, 4.2 for LWB) and BW TC. LT230 is more desirable than the BW.

IMHO opinion RR is better than Disco off-road. Better visibility and weight distribution. I love the 87-88 version except for the small engine. Had a friend with an 88 and he had the engine re-bored to a 4.5L by Rovers North.

I prefer the cloth interior, it's softer. Like Terry mentioned the older Rangies had less electrical problems.

No swaybars on the older Rangies either and they handle just fine on the open road.

A few issues with the Rangies:

1. Amplifier relocation kit needed. The stock amp is right next to the dizzy and when they heat up the engine stalls.

2. On the older Rangies there is no trap door to access the fuel pump, you can make your own trap door or you will have to lower the gas tank to replace the pump.

3. Rust (as mentioned by other members).

Remember, your articulation is limited to the length of the shocks, flexibility of the springs and a few other components.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. It is an '88 RR so it does have the LT230. Yes, I am over 6 ft tall. I was advised to pick up some manual D1 front seats to replace the RR seats. The engine is blown, hence so cheap, so I will be rebuilding or replacing the engine. Which would be better...rebuild and rebore the engine or just replace it completely with the 4.2L? If the 4.2 is the way to go, where would be the best place to get one?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The seats on the RR go farther back than the 94-95 Disco. 96 and up Disco has a bit more room. One thing I miss about the RR seats are the armrests. If I were you I'd stay with the Rangie seats.

Go on eBay and you'll find some 4.0s and 4.2s, try to get it complete with ECU.

Rovercannibal might be able to help, Roverland in FL has complete engines.

·
Registered
674 Posts
BLOWN ENGINE....hmmmmmmmmmm....me thinks 4.6 Pursuit would be AWESOME! Depends on the pocketbook, but chek out ECR they do some fantastic engine replacements - I hear they are comparable to a rebuilt 4.2

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have heard the acronym ECR before but what does it mean?

My reason for replacing the RR seats with D1 seats is that the D1 seats are a lot lighter.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
yeah and some vaseline.....

WTF would you want to pay an arm and a leg for a job all the way up east when you can get it done in Cali for much less.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
John, who would you recommend in Cali? I am familiar with Michael at West Coast British. There is also a LR dismantler about an hour from me that I could get a 4.6 from and have it rebuilt by whomever is recommended to me. I plan on replacing the engine next summer - gives me time to put $ aside to get it done right.

Also, I know you are a distributor for Scorpion, but how good of a suspension are they compared to RTE and OME? This truck will be a rock crawler and general offroader. It will be used on the road every now and then - got to get it to the trail and getting the occassional gallon of milk when I feel like running over the little old ladies.... :D

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
roverX said:
John, who would you recommend in Cali? I am familiar with Michael at West Coast British. There is also a LR dismantler about an hour from me that I could get a 4.6 from and have it rebuilt by whomever is recommended to me. I plan on replacing the engine next summer - gives me time to put $ aside to get it done right.

Also, I know you are a distributor for Scorpion, but how good of a suspension are they compared to RTE and OME? This truck will be a rock crawler and general offroader. It will be used on the road every now and then - got to get it to the trail and getting the occassional gallon of milk when I feel like running over the little old ladies.... :D
The two places you mentioned are a good place to start.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.