Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy that has a Discovery II aka TREK Edition, 2000 model. The truck was overturned in an accident, insurance company has made an offer to total, does anybody have familiarity with this particular model?

My understanding was, albeit unverified that there were 15 available in the 2000 model year. He is attempting to establish a value prior to negotiating the settlement. 77,000 miles, all equipment is original to the TREK Edition.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
If it is a real trek it is something special!
One of 15 special production vehicles!
Front bumper bull bar with warn winch
Safety devices aluminum full rack
Ladder
Heavy duty suspension
Colour scheme and markings for the trek - orange and black with grey interior
Any documentation to prove it it a true trek and not a clone?

Check this out
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...ep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2000 Trek

I was able to secure a $20,000 pay out on the TREK accident for the insurance settlement on behalf of my buddy. Unfortunately it will require being re-titled as salvage based upon Texas legislation. The buy back was $800.00, my buddy secured a straight, clean titled 2000 with a bad engine for $1500.00 to use as replacement panels for the damaged parts.
Here is what I leaned, the TREK is not a collectible vehicle outside our circles, it carries the same VIN as its same year production brothers, therefore it is valued by insurance companies by that criteria. While value was increased by additional equipment, it was a struggle to acquire enough value to justify the repair and diminished value resulting from the accident. My advice to all having this vehicle, get a stated value policy so there is no argument concerning payout in particular if you have no leverage to force a court decision concerning value in a total loss scenario.
Take Care

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is one of the vehicles the insurance company used to value this truck, didn't fly, they wanted the low end $14,900, wasn't enough for my buddy based upon a approximately 45k difference in mileage of which they added a mere $600 for his trucks lower mileage. The fact that this truck began as high as it did and then dropped in cost like a rock did not help either. Nice looking truck though, E-bay is not the place to establish value, that is for sure.

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
...E-bay is not the place to establish value, that is for sure.
It is the best place to find out what someone is ACTUALLY willing to pay for something. You can tell me your whatever is worth a million dollars, but if no one is willing to give you that much, then it's not worth a million dollars. Sentimental value is worth zero on the retail market.

Colin

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Valuation

It is the best place to find out what someone is ACTUALLY willing to pay for something. You can tell me your whatever is worth a million dollars, but if no one is willing to give you that much, then it's not worth a million dollars. Sentimental value is worth zero on the retail market.

Colin
I stand by my statement, there are other valuation tools available which more accurately define current value of commodities. One of which is the weekly auction report (Black Widow)There is too much speculation with E-bay pricing, it is literally all over the map. That Trek I believe was one of these items, wasn't it listed at nearly $30k originally finally landing @ 1/2 asking price?
I understand what you said and agree to a point, but the internet is really not the place to buy and sell many items,however it is a great tool for research, the best deals are face to face, not key board to keyboard. Take care.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I have a buddy that has a Discovery II aka TREK Edition, 2000 model. The truck was overturned in an accident, insurance company has made an offer to total,
Maybe I am just being critical BUT?...
Red flags on the play "Doug"

Got to call you on this one.
You would have us all believe this " story" about you negotiating with your "buddy's insurance company on his behalf of him and his "rolled" 15 year old truck. And even though this was maybe a $10,000 truck (if really nice)you were able to negotiate them to twice it's likely value!
So the insurance company has now valued the truck at double what it would cost to buy another one? But they are still not willing to fix it!
Are you a lawyer? I have never heard of an insurance adjuster negotiating with a "buddy of the owner".

If it is true .... Maybe you can talk to my boss and convince him that I should be paid double what I am worth:lol::lol:

Now you and your "buddy" are going to fixer up real good :wink with used panels off another scrap truck. I thought it was overturned?
You guys are going to do what? Roof panels? A pillars? Hood and fenders?

Just does not add up the way I read it all.
If the insurance company is not willing to try and fix it on a " less than " $20,000 budget how can it be salvageable?
Would likely make more sense to use the TREK as the donor vehicle and fix up the one with a bad engine.
Yes I mentioned the TREK that was on e bay but only for information purposes to help you understand what a TREK edition is.
I have bought 3 d2s and a d1 over the last 2 years and although none were a TREK edition and they all needed some work, they all ran and none of them had been flipped over on their roof. All 4 cost me lees than $1000 bucks each.
Sounds like a great story but .......

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More or less?

Maybe I am just being critical BUT?...
Red flags on the play "Doug"

Got to call you on this one.
You would have us all believe this " story" about you negotiating with your "buddy's insurance company on his behalf of him and his "rolled" 15 year old truck. And even though this was maybe a $10,000 truck (if really nice)you were able to negotiate them to twice it's likely value!
So the insurance company has now valued the truck at double what it would cost to buy another one? But they are still not willing to fix it!
Are you a lawyer? I have never heard of an insurance adjuster negotiating with a "buddy of the owner".

If it is true .... Maybe you can talk to my boss and convince him that I should be paid double what I am worth:lol::lol:

Now you and your "buddy" are going to fixer up real good :wink with used panels off another scrap truck. I thought it was overturned?
You guys are going to do what? Roof panels? A pillars? Hood and fenders?

Just does not add up the way I read it all.
If the insurance company is not willing to try and fix it on a " less than " $20,000 budget how can it be salvageable?
Would likely make more sense to use the TREK as the donor vehicle and fix up the one with a bad engine.
Yes I mentioned the TREK that was on e bay but only for information purposes to help you understand what a TREK edition is.
I have bought 3 d2s and a d1 over the last 2 years and although none were a TREK edition and they all needed some work, they all ran and none of them had been flipped over on their roof. All 4 cost me lees than $1000 bucks each.
Sounds like a great story but .......
It's true, no reason to lie or even embellish. The payoff was $19,900, plus storage & tow from the scene. Total payout to cover loss and expenses $21,000.

You need to understand that certain states passed legislation stating in effect, a vehicle is considered salvage when repair costs, not including repainting, exceeds the vehicle's value at the moment before the damage. Florida requires the issuance of a "dismantle" title which precludes the re-registration of this vehicle within the state ever again, it can only be dismantled, the VIN is dead. Many of these laws were passed after Hurricanes like Andrew, Katrina preventing the re-sale of flood cars nationwide. Additionally there is now concern within the major causality insurance companies that a future buyer of a repaired vehicle that might have been a total loss will come back on the casualty company after an incident for not exercising proper judgment by allowing this vehicle back on the road on a clean title. This is the litigious society in which we live. Keep in mind that companies like CARFAX discovered the expensive way they can not guarantee all past damage as they stated early on, most cash repairs, washed titles, never show up in the system, it is a tool not a declaration of certain fact.

This insurance company uses a body shop software known as CCC. This program while efficient and fast, attaches replacement parts @ manufacturer retail & labor @ a hourly rate according to the zone which the damage occurs, in this case, Houston. The repair total exceeded $27,000 based upon retail price of the parts, paint cost and labor, insane, but very useful in negotiating a settlement in this case based upon the limited availability nature of this model Discovery. The photo of the TREK within the thread was their base determination of value. A few more were found and used in an attempt to establish this value but they appeared for sale as far back as 2011. The problem with the internet and establishing value based on asking price.
The owner was not in a corner so to speak after the accident, he did not need a rental, there is no payoff on the Trek, so he was not jammed up for a settlement. He asked me to speak with the adjuster & claim representative on his behalf. While you might expect that only attorneys have this capability, let me assure you that is not the case, properly prepared you can achieve a favorable outcome as well. Even though the truck flipped onto its side, the damage was purely cosmetic. The sheet metal damage alone was enough to total the truck by Texas law. There are no other comparable trucks about or available @ this time, this result was expected.
I am not involved in the rebuild project, this is his deal, I did what I was asked to do, the outcome was equitable, he accepted the settlement and has been returned to whole status. The basic operating premise of insurance law. It's simple, insurance companies will have you believe they and they alone establish value, and this is simply not true. The majority of this type case require a quick settlement based upon the needs of the loss payee, this guy actually told the company their determined payoff was not acceptable. I simply reinforced the point, they agreed and closed the case by settlement.
Can't help you with your boss, will tell you if you have no vested interest in the company and feel under utilized and compensated, change companies, negotiate more income prior to the move and then honor your requirement to perform. Take care.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Managed to get the photos uploaded. The repairs have been completed except for paint, Nick says that will occur next week some time. He managed to locate approved production stickers, pricey @ $1200 but keeps the truck like he wants it.
All of the panels with damage were replaced including the rear quarters with straight panels. He is having the roof rack repaired as well, so all in all, it's going to be good and used once again. Sorry for the delay in upload, just jammed with work right now.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Glad to see that someone is saving this truck and preserving it as it once was.
Still not sure I buy the whole story
But glad to see it is being restored to its past condition:angel

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Trek gave up the ghost the other day leaving a stop light. A rod let go, punched the block just above the starter. Lots of work in this repair to date including a spectacular job matching paint. I intend to have mine painted by the same shop when I finish all the mechanical changes. It has been flat bedded North of Houston outside the Woodlands for an engine replacement by a Independent LR repair shop. So the saga continues as the TREK is resurrected. It was worth saving I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.