Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a brand new owner of a 2005 land rover lr3 hse v8 4.4l. I purchased this car a month ago. Had brake problems went to the dealership I bought it at and said there was no problems. That the owner before me just put cheaps brakes on and it needs to be replaced with the original land rover brakes to not hear the squealing. Now I am not a mechanic, I am a woman and I have no clue about cars. Just today as I was coming home shifting down gears my brakes started to lock up and rattle. Made loud noises like brakes wanted to fall out and when I got home it cleared up. Decided to drive it for a few more miles same thing happens after a while. Now I need to know if this is a major issue or I need to replace pads and rotors. I am pretty devasted about what is going on cause this is my first major car purchase.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Take it to an independent/small town shop. There is nothing in the brake system that requires a dealership or factory certified mechanic. From your description I bet it is the brake dust shield that is not secured properly. Unless there is vibration felt in the wheel when you brake (indication of warped rotors), or a nails on chalkboard sound when you brake (indication of worn pads), you shouldn't need to replace these parts.

Let us know how it turns out. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There have been several issues with the parking brake system, that can cause noises like this.

Might want have the system checked out, as a minor issue with it, can turn into a much larger issue if not addressed quickly. Look around for a shop that has experience with these trucks, including newer ones, not just the older Rovers.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Bodsy's Brake Bible

I assume that you are not familiar with Bodsy's Brake Bible.

If not, the link to Bodsy’s Brake Bible is as below:

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Bodsy's Brake Bible

Download the latest version; v1.6a as of when I typed this, (over 6,300 downloads so far).

Bodsy keeps updating it as he tunes the 36 page pdf up.

The best part is probably towards the end re the electronic parking brake.

It is black art stuff, (well leading edge); also the set and unset procedure applies when doing just a normal rear pad change.

If you ignore the set unset procedure, then a few miles down the road, the squealing will start.

The fronts are more normal, but the rears, not!

You actually have three pair of brake assemblies to deal with, the front pair of rotors, and pads, the rear pair of rotors and pads, and then the parking brake pair of drums and shoes – yes, drums and shoes. That is why you can use the parking brake as a “dynamic” system to safely slow the vehicle from highway speeds. The owner’s handbook explains the procedure.

In other words, your problems could be related to the set unset requirement.
If you show the set unset instructions to your mechanic, he will know what to do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That is why you can use the parking brake as a “dynamic” system to safely slow the vehicle from highway speeds. The owner’s handbook explains the procedure.
The dynamic parking brake apply doesn't actually apply the EPB until it slows the vehicle down to about 10mph. It uses the ABS system and pulses all wheels at maximum pressure.

The only way, aside from a failure, to engage the EPB at speed(and only up to ~30mph) is by use of the Bedding In procedure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts