Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Disco and have had a rattling noise coming from the drivetrain area for about three months. The dealer in Honolulu told me it was the catalytic converter, but after I moved to North Carolina, the dealer here told me it wasn't. Has anyone had this issue with their Disco?

·
Registered
218 Posts
bernardmann said:
I have a 2003 Disco and have had a rattling noise coming from the drivetrain area for about three months. The dealer in Honolulu told me it was the catalytic converter, but after I moved to North Carolina, the dealer here told me it wasn't. Has anyone had this issue with their Disco?

Hey dude,

Be careful. how many miles on your Disco? I had a noise in my drive train.
and it sounded like a tweating bird. then one day I felt a vibration and then it happened. the U-joint broke. have your Disco serviced. it's known that if the u-joint breaks. there's a high probablility that when the drive shaft snaps off. it will swing around and crack your transmition casing. (this happened to me) luckly I purchased an extended warrantee. otherwise I would have had to pay $4100 for a reman-Tranny my Disco is a 2001. with 63K miles on it.

in a nutshell have them check the u-joint. its a serviciable part.

RudemanRB

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Rattle

bernardmann said:
So when doe it rattle, this information will make a big difference in the answer you get.
Is it at idle and starting up or while driving?
Mike J.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rattling is worst at startup and while idling. The noise sounds a bit like rattling cylinders, but is coming from the drivetrain. My Disco is a 2003 with only 16600 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Rattle

If you have a rattle at start up and idle it can only be a heat shild on the exhaust or a cat. Get your truck into the dealer while you have some warranty on it and lean on them.
Mike J.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Searching

I have noticed that I am having a similar rattle. When I start my 99 Disco II it runs without any problems. It seems that after the vehicle warms up it rattles when I am at a stop light or after I have put it in park. While I am accelerating there is not a problem, it does not make noise.

I do feel this rattle slightly on the bottom of my feet(drivers side). Any ideas where to start the search for this problem?

I had to replace the spark plugs last night. It is running better, of course all cylinders firing will tend to have this effect. The plugs looked clean without any problems, just old. I do not feel that this rattle is coming form the engine. But I am definitely looking for experienced advice.

Duke

·
Registered
449 Posts
feeling it under your feet tends to make me think its the catalytic converter on driver side. the matrix inside the catalytic converter could be the problem. does disco 2 have metalic heatshields around the converters? if so this could be rattling on your driver side cat. let car cool off for a couple hours then go under there and see if you can make the heat shield rattle if you poke it with a screwdriver. if no, then problem is likely the internal matrix of the cat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.