Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Real coolant temps

3K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  V50_M66 
#1 ·
Getting mixed answers searching on the forums. Seemed like my thermostat was sticking open, coolant temps never got above 170F. Put a new thermostat in from Atlantic British, now I get plenty heat. Coolant gauge never worked since I’ve owned the vehicle. Always just used a scan tool to watch temps via obd2 port. But now the temps show about 210F freeway and it creeps up to 221F when in traffic. Electric fans are running over 212f. It’s an average Wisconsin winter here being 20F out today. Just me or those temps a little high? Then it’s 200-220f, I can shut the engine off and turn the viscous fan. It doesn’t free spin, it will stop moving immediately when I stop pushing it, but it does rotate. Are they supposed to turn at operating temp?

#33 ·
If the RockAuto one is cheap, then it might be worth a try. Although I got a "180" from FCP Euro that was the same color as the 190 and it ended up being a 190, so it's a dice roll.
I just did a quick look and can't find much either

#34 ·
I still can’t understand all of the hullabaloo about thermostats. A thermostat can’t control your operating temps, so if you find your rig running hotter than you’d prefer, you would likely want a better radiator or fan?

whatever the nominal operating temp is, you want to get there as quickly as possible. In cold climates, keeping the stat closed longer results in faster heating of the engine, reduced emissions (by proxy), and better performance. They make the lower temp thermostats for tropical climates where you’re more likely to overshoot the desired temp.

more realistically, the thermostat controls when the system begins cooling, not how much it cools. If you’re in a temperate climate, I would stick with the oem stat and make sure your cooling system is tits

#39 ·
Ok so got the new thermostat in, and already a noticeable difference. It’s about 36 degrees F out today, and cruising around at about 45-50 mph, temps sit at 200 ish. After I park it and let it idle for a few minutes, it gets up to 208 max. Not even hot enough to get the electric fans to actuate. That’s a way better temp. So for the record, I used a stant thermostat from rock auto which they say is 180 degree. And that may be the last time I spend money with Atlantic British. Emailed several times and they never responded, so I’m guessing this is a 190 degree thermostat or it’s defective.

#40 ·
The rock auto one seems consistent for a 190 t stat. The AB one was likely the weird 204 t stat they had from the factory.
But hey, improvement!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.