Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody replaced the rear axle seals on an LR3? Had mine on a lift recently and noticed the right rear axle deal was leaking. I do hear a slight whine while driving which is either the rear diff or wheel bearing I think. I haven't checked the fluid in the rear diff and I know that's a problem area. FSM shows 4-5 specialty tools are needed to do this job. I've done axle seals on straight axle jeeps but nothing like the LR3.

$20 seal
$75 fluid
$1,000,000 special LR tools....

·
1,854 Posts
I think you should be able to do it yourself.
The front seals leaks do to the diff not being able to breath, so it's good to check and update the breather pipe. That is possibly what is wrong with your rear unless the worn out oil possibly ate through the seal.
The bearings in the rear diff tend to wear out thats the sound you are hearing. Check your diff fluid. It should be changed at 75K, but changing it earlier keeps it from wearing out sooner. Some people drive with noisy rear diffs, but it's probably better to replace the bearings or replace the whole diff before it totally craps out.
TLT is the main Diff guy here.
I had the left seal done on my front diff 2 years ago it's been fine since. But I can hear the worn bearings on my rear diff at 102K miles now. I will get it done at 106K. And some never have an issue.

Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't the rear vented to where the gas filler is?

Also I'm really hoping the noise isn't the differential. Hubs are way cheaper. I was able to get a good deal on my LR3 so just because I have a Land Rover doesn't mean I can afford Land Rover maintenance but I know that goes hand in hand.

As for differential bearings. I'd probably be able to spend a weekend replacing the bearings but it's the adjustments I can't do as far as tolerances, preload, and everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.