Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, hello all...
I have been through 4 Discos, have had 2 lightweights, and a 90. My new company car is a LR3, but it must stay urban, the owner of my company says.
I currently have an 02 disco, with the normal grades:
ARB Bumper
Warn 9000
Snorkel
Lift
Mud Terrains...
Racks Ladders Lights Up the Ying, the 4000's I just love..

looking to get more serious with this one, and need some advice on the rear bumper, trash i say, it pops of so many times I am about to just take it off, and leave it off. I would love one to house a rear winch, but I hear that there is none.
That is one question, and I would love to hear about some sweet set ups with onboard air and dual battery set ups...
Thanks Guys
Cheers
RICK

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
for a bumper....definatly look at RTE; www.rovertym.com

....they have one of the best bumpers you can buy for DIIs.....though these are front bumpers....I believe you would have to custom fab a rear winch bumper. On board air or similar would be a MV50 compressor if I had the choice (google it). Batteries, you could do two blue/yellow tops or you could do a single giant D31M battery which is about 1.5 blue/yellow tops but wont require extra cables or charging systems.

·
2,986 Posts
Welcome to the forum..

For a DII rear bumper, the choices are limited.. www.trekoutfitters.com, www.safarigard.com, and RoverTym is supposedly in the process of making one.. Also, there is a guy on www.discoweb.org named Greg Davis that makes them.. I've seen his work first hand and I dig it.. That is most likely who I'll be going with.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Rick,
You didn't mention if you wanted to build your own, but here are a few things I did.
For the dual battery set up, there is just enough room to install 2 Optium batteries if you pull out the factory battery box.

Here are a couple of pictures of my rear bumper, pretty much stronger than anything out there and with quarter panel slider built in.

Mike J.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes,
I have a good welder friend who helped me with the front and rear bumper, sliders and the battery box.
The rear bumper is 2X4 box steel bolted to 10 factory holes, no welding. The sliders on the rear bumper will take the total weight of the back half of the truck. The rear departure angle and bumper height were improved by about 3"s.
Mike J.

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
Mike you made that rear bumper? That thing is damn nice!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Sweet bumper!

I didn't have the time to fab something- so I went with the Trek Outfitters HD version of the DII bumper. It uses the stock tail lamps, which I like a LOT.

I'm installing a side exit exhaust this week to get the tailpipe out from under there where it can be squished.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Steve,
I waited around for 3 months for Tina to get a new welder to redue her original rear design. Finally gave up and did my own thing.
I like the way hers turned out including the bumper lights. Wanted to do the lights in my bumper but too much of a pain in incorporate into box steel, staying water tight.
I rerouted all my lights uo to the upper lights and added reverse lights.
Take care,
Mike J.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Steve,
I dig the look of that bumper, but I have a question. It may just be the pic, and a weidr angle....but it seems the bumper is a little tight on your ball hitch. Ever had any trouble connecting your trailer?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That's the angle of the picture- there's no clearance problems at all with it. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks

Mike that bumper is so great, i wish i could do that, but i may be able to find someone that can, could you email me those pics???
The battery setups are sweet, just what I am thinking about.

Yes the rear winch is what I am doing? i just orderd that huge 9500 warn in the hitch mounted cage, its pretty sweet. Hop it works as well as my front...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
DiscoRick said:
Mike that bumper is so great, i wish i could do that, but i may be able to find someone that can, could you email me those pics???
The battery setups are sweet, just what I am thinking about.

Yes the rear winch is what I am doing? i just orderd that huge 9500 warn in the hitch mounted cage, its pretty sweet. Hop it works as well as my front...
Send me your e-mail address and I will send a file of 10 pictures.
[email protected]
Mike J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.