Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi on my 01 D2 , I know this seems like a Old and common problem but....my rear door is stuck closed after changing the rear handle and plate cover and reinstalling the actuator(myself).

After fully taking taking the door card off and installing the handle the door has remained stuck closed.

Lock actuator clicks loudly when key or button is activated, lock knob in door pops up all indicating that part is working. both inside and out side handles move freely. I can not confirm if inside cable is still correctly attached to actuator but I assume it is.

Is this a super locking problem? child lock malfunction?

Dealership had no lock, only solution offered is to chisel actuator out release door and install a new actuator

any ideas?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Hi and welcome
First thing I would check is that both release handles / linkages are fully returning to the released position.
Does not sound like a superlock problem especially if all other or any other doors open.
You have been in there ... How mechanical are you?
Even if it is completely jammed up (unlikely) you should be able to manipulate it somehow to get it open.
If a "dealer is recommending cohisseling it out find a new dealer

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had that issue too - I must have lucked out because after a heavy doses of WD40 in the handle, up underneath it from the outside, I was able to pop it open. I previously oiled up the latch but realized the issue was the outside handle. I hope that helps you as it did me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reasonably mechanical changed all actuators over the years, dealer thinks mine is best condition they have seen a 01 in.

just such a tight place, dealer did actually try too,

I had it all completely out in order to install the new plastic handle cover. I suspect as I forced the actuator back in to hard(the bolt/stud from handle cover gets in the way as it is right behind the actuator &*Y^&*^ ) maybe something came off in a linkage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure if this is the same as your problem. In mine if I try to open the rear door before I fully unlock the door from the outside the handle remains in the open position and even after locking and unlocking the door it will not open.

All I have to do is lock the door and use a screwdriver to push the handle forward, double push the remote button and away I go.

Hope this helps.

Peter

·
Registered
18 Posts
reasonably mechanical changed all actuators over the years, dealer thinks mine is best condition they have seen a 01 in.

just such a tight place, dealer did actually try too,

I had it all completely out in order to install the new plastic handle cover. I suspect as I forced the actuator back in to hard(the bolt/stud from handle cover gets in the way as it is right behind the actuator &*Y^&*^ ) maybe something came off in a linkage.
I had a rear passenger door that would only open from the outside and had locking issues (I know your talking about the cargo door, just an idea here), when I finally got around to diagnosing it I found that a PO had some sort of door actuator issue, and when they removed/installed the one that was in my door, they bent some of the interior doors steel from prying on crap, and they also bent the child safety linkage??? I was able to remove the assembly without beating things up and fix what was their without spending any big bucks....You may want to take a closer look at your actuator assembly, leave it plugged in and play with the door locks and see what it does...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi on my 01 D2 , I know this seems like a Old and common problem but....my rear door is stuck closed after changing the rear handle and plate cover and reinstalling the actuator(myself).

After fully taking taking the door card off and installing the handle the door has remained stuck closed.

Lock actuator clicks loudly when key or button is activated, lock knob in door pops up all indicating that part is working. both inside and out side handles move freely. I can not confirm if inside cable is still correctly attached to actuator but I assume it is.

Is this a super locking problem? child lock malfunction?

Dealership had no lock, only solution offered is to chisel actuator out release door and install a new actuator

any ideas?
James 2001 Beach, did you ever figure this out?

I have the exact same issue with my 2004 Discovery 2. The tailgate / trunk / rear door is stuck shut. All handles feel like they function properly (this is not the rusty outdoor handle fixed by WD40 issue) and the door lock actuator sounds normal in each key fob unlock, lock, and superlock. The little door lock tab indicator on the inside of the trunk door pops both up and down as it should when actuated via key fob, and it pops up when the door is locked then the inner door handle is pulled.

So all this looks and sounds normal. But the door is totally stuck shut! I've removed the interior trunk door trim to view the actuator and it looks fine and operates fine. But door won't open. Help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It was the CHILD LOCK that got itself stuck in an intermediate position!

Solution:
  • I think I was having the same problems as the original poster, and angling a screwdriver (from the inside of the car) past the door weather seal bulb to push the child lock back all the way up into the unlocked position resulted in a loud CLICK and then the door worked perfectly for a few cycles before getting stuck again (requiring the same fix). Even though the child lock switch looks 'up', it isn't all the way up and only forcing it up with a screwdriver push results in it unlocking. When the child lock is stuck in an intermediate position, neither the inside nor outside handles work. I'll be replacing my door lock actuator, as it seems to keep getting itself into this intermediate position.
Problem:
  • My Land Rover Discovery 2 tailgate / trunk / rear door is stuck shut. All handles feel like they function properly and the door lock actuator sounds normal in each key fob unlock, lock, and superlock. The little door lock tab indicator on the inside of the trunk door pops both up and down as it should when actuated via key fob, and it pops up when the door is locked then the inner door handle is pulled. So all this looks and sounds normal. But the door is totally stuck shut! I've removed the interior trunk door trim to view the actuator and it looks fine and operates fine. But door won't open. Help!
  • This is not the classic Disco II rusty outdoor handle fixed by WD40 issue. The outer and inner door handles pull and spring return just fine.
Thanks to:
  • LandRoverForums member Rovin4Life who described this phenomenon
  • Landyzone forum member johnboy02 who also had a good story about it
  • LandRoversOnly forum member Zershin who also followed up to say what it was
Same issue (suspected):
Photos:
  • See here

• unlocking the tailgate door childlock from within. you can go for it blind, but i found it to be easier to just pull the weather seal bulb to improve visibility

improved visibility with weather seal bulb removed

diagram of what you're trying to do

you can even see the child lock switch indent in the foam

the goal is to push this switch up to the unlock position. i know it already looks like it's up, and it won't shift much... but it'll shift a bit, and give you a big loud satisfying click when it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.