Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So where the hell are my rear fog lights? Have a 98 disco LE. Have the headlights on, push the button, it lights up, but nothing in the back. Are they the ligths that are in the bumper? I mean, I'm sure I would hardly ever use them, but I think its cool they are there and want them to work. Also, I tried to google it but I can't find a site that can give me a clear breakdown of the trim packages offered in 98 and what the differences are, anyone help me out in either case? Thanks guys. Btw, posting at work, look at me being anti-authority!

· Registered
777 Posts
Trim levels are as follows: SD (Basic --> No frills no sunroof, no electric seats, some had cloth seats, nothing to break) SE (roofs, electric seats, some came with jump seats and rear air depends on the rover) LSE (Top of the line roof seats, running boards ect). LR made only the 1999 SD D1 and introduced the Series 2 that year. I cant remember the break down on years for LE LSE Models.

Rear fog lights: press the button in on the dash to the left I believe (orange light illuminates), the front driving/fog lights usually have to be on as well, lower lights on the bottom rear part of the bumper should light up @ all times or until turned off. HTH!

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Your rear light package has four parts to it: The top part is the driving light/brake light, then comes the turn signal light, then the reverse light, with the bottom part being the fog light. Just went outside to check mine. This is assuming your rear light package has four parts to it.

· Registered
734 Posts
Private Iron said:
So where the hell are my rear fog lights? Have a 98 disco LE. Have the headlights on, push the button, it lights up, but nothing in the back. Are they the ligths that are in the bumper? I mean, I'm sure I would hardly ever use them, but I think its cool they are there and want them to work. Also, I tried to google it but I can't find a site that can give me a clear breakdown of the trim packages offered in 98 and what the differences are, anyone help me out in either case? Thanks guys. Btw, posting at work, look at me being anti-authority!

Dunno....I drive an 89 Classic....
But, if it is foggy out..does it really matter if you have rear fog lights? Unless there have been several beers involved and you are driving home backwards? :confused

317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I have the four parts. I figured it was the ones that were in the bumper that should light up. The button on the dash lights up, I had the headlights on, maybe I just need new bulbs, but I'm sure they hardly ever got used. Anyway, yeah I know I really don't need them, I just thought they were kinda cool and want them to work. So my LE means that I pretty much got all the options that year, except for whatever bells and whistles came in the LSE?

· Registered
161 Posts
I have used mine before, several times. They are not like the white light fog lights in the front, they are basically very bright red tail lights, which allow people behind to see you sooner when approaching from behind in dense fog.

I have a 98 LSE six seater, which has a button on the top left of the instrument console for front fog lights, and another button on the dash to the right of the instrument panel, next to the cruise control button, with the same icon on it as the front fog light button, which is to turn on the rear fog lights.

I have used mine when going up into clouds in mountain passes in weather, as well as on the highway when a fog bank comes along, or even sometimes in an extremely heavy downpour. It is just nice to use it, as it was provided to make you safer.

Good luck,

Kieran

· Registered
734 Posts
k12 said:
I have used mine before, several times. They are not like the white light fog lights in the front, they are basically very bright red tail lights, which allow people behind to see you sooner when approaching from behind in dense fog.

I see, makes sense now.

317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, ahhh, I gotta admit something here. When I was messing with the lights it really wasn't that dark out, so I would turn them on and not really see anything special. But this morning when I got home, I closed the garage door and tried again, and ahh haa, now I can tell, boy do I feel like an ass. And they were not the lights that are in the bumper. Still don't know what those are for. So I basically wasted everyone's time. So, go ahead, flame away, call me names, I deserve it, just get it over with quick.

· Registered
161 Posts
No one will flame you for that question. I would not be surprised if 1/3 of all disco owners didnt even know they had the feature, much less how to activate it.

Now, if you had posted a question asking how to check the engine oil level . . . that might have been different. ha ha.

Kieran

· Registered
59 Posts
Rear bumber lites

:wave:
Well, the little red lights in the rear bumper are supposed to be on with the tail lights(park lights). You should have 4 tail lights, 2 stop lights(top of light cluster-shared with tail lights) and 2 fog lights(bottom of the tail light cluster-will only work with low beam headlights)

There! :beer:

· Registered
97 Posts
It's the red portion of the of the lights on the bumper at least on the DII. But I always thought they're always on for some reason and then turns bright when you press the rear fog button. At least that's what I remember. Try this in the late afternoon or evening, park your Disco with the rear facing a wall or even the garage door and try it then see the difference. That's how I noticed mine.

· Registered
29 Posts
bruinlad, you in ucla? i work there :wave:

seems like lots of european-spec cars have rear fog lights. instead of a pair of back up lights they'd have one white one and one red fog light instead. i get really mad when it gets foggy here and the upcoming guy turns on his high beam thinking he'd see better

· Registered
92 Posts
the "back off tail gater" button

I use it to ditch tail gaters.
if some one is on you rear you hit the button and BOY do they brake.. :buttrock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.