Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi Guys,

i want to install on my D2 TD5 from 2003 an automatic rear locker. Now comes the tricky questions

1. will the TC shift on the front axle due to the fact the back will be blocked and there be now speed diff. between the left and right ?
2. is it better to have CDL mount then rear locker ?
3. if TC will be faster then the automatic rear locker, then is money out on the window, because the rear lockers will never kick in

Do anybody have the TC with the rear lockers mount and can tell us if there is any difference ?

thank you

·
Registered
356 Posts
having a rear locker without a center locking diff will do you no good. if front tires are spinning the power will just get diverted there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
having a rear locker without a center locking diff will do you no good. if front tires are spinning the power will just get diverted there.
Right. You must have center diff lock at the transfer case before you can lock the the axle diff. Once you get the front output housing with diff lock, you can lock the axle diff on either one or both. As long as the gearing and tires remain the same on front and rear axles, the output/revolutions also remain the same.

The torque is first distributed at the transfer case differential so if it is not locked up at the initial point of output, the TC diff is still free to distribute power to point of least resistance, rendering a locked axle diff useless the majority of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
You can't make adjustments to the SLABS ECU at all, though:
1. If the ECU gets a locked diff input from the diff-lock switch the TC will be inhibited as to not work against it
2. If you fit a rear locker without CDL the TC will kick in on the front axle but only untill the wheel speed inputs are all the same so a locker is not completely useless cos it transmits torque based on power not like the TC by braking on the spinning wheel.
3. if you want to disable the TC you can retrofit a on/off switch on the diff-lock switch's circuit and if you switch this on the ECU will consider the diff locked and inhibit the TC but IMO no axle locker will be affected much by the TC cos as long as a wheel is not spinning the diff being locked the TC will rest on that axle

(i've had a LSD on the rear and it made a difference with unlocked central diff compared to the original diff that's a fact)

·
Registered
356 Posts
better off spending your moneys on a center locking diff to start with. it really is amazing.

i've been on the trail with a guy that had front and rear lockers, his CDL was not engaging (which he didn't know till it was too late) he was climbing a big hill and when the front took all the power as the weight was distributed to the rear his nose slid to the side almost rolling him down the hill.

moral of the story is the power will go the path of least resistance with an open center diff no matter how your axles are set up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. Unfotrunatly in my car i need for the CDL the lever and the internal linkage, from ashcroft this is arround 600 EUR

I do not know if it worth the money ? did anyone had this modification done and can comapre before and after ? is the difference so big that you can say money well spent ? i agree with the fact that you take a lot of the TC load, but the final result is you get to do the climb anyway

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just bought a used t-case out of a 2000 model and modified a D1shifter to work.

Was much cheaper than my locker. Changing the transfer case was a pain, but it was worth it.

There are plenty of threads on what to do. I've seen people just change out the front nose of the transfer case too.

Do some searching there are many ways to get it done

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
I have a 2000 modell which had the internals and no linkage when i bought it, used it so for a year, after i fitted the linkage was a huge difference between how it went in deep mud with CD locked compared to the open one then after a rear LSD was fitted it was even better, i left the wiring untouched but swapped the SLABS ECU for the latest SRD500070 which doesnt inhibit completely the TC like the other versions but makes it work together with the CDL and i think thios configuration is unbeatable for my needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.