Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AHHHHHHHH..i have a huge oil spill in my driveway. i have narrowed it down to the rear main. what is the best way to get at it? i have a 1980 2 door rangie V8. is it easier to pull the engine? or the box? i have sliced my hands to bits on the chassis of the damn thing trying to get at some stupidly placed bolts to get the trans protection bar thing off....... :confused

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
tcpr said:
AHHHHHHHH..i have a huge oil spill in my driveway. i have narrowed it down to the rear main. what is the best way to get at it? i have a 1980 2 door rangie V8. is it easier to pull the engine? or the box? i have sliced my hands to bits on the chassis of the damn thing trying to get at some stupidly placed bolts to get the trans protection bar thing off....... :confused
Pull the transmission and then you can inspect and reseal any seal on the t/case or transmisson at the same time. Do the front seal on the transmisson just so you don't have to pull it again later and catch it.
Good luck,
Mike

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
engine.

I undoubtedly would pull the engine out the box is a bloody nightmare the seats have to come out all carpets and trim have to come out then the gearbox tunnel,propshafts etc, You can have the engine in and out in a day and also it gives far better access to remove the seal.Its also easier to put back in.

To remove the engine you need to disconnect the:-Exhaust downpipes,heater hoses,throttle cable,top and bottom hoses.Undo the:-engine mounts,bellhousing bolts.always remove the radiator to give you more room when lifting the engine out.

Check the condition of your clutch including thrust bearing its worth replacing at this stage while the engines out.

Cheers Onz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts