Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my SLS, please don't advise me to switch to springs. I tow a boat regularly and the SLS pays off every time I tow.

I walked out to the Disco this evening and noticed the rear was sitting a bit low. Up until tonight, I've had no issues with the rear SLS - it's worked flawlessly. Yesterday, I heard the system letting out air as my passenger and I stepped out of the truck, indicating that the height sensors are still working.

So, here's what I've done to troubleshoot the system:
  • Pressed SLS button to put into off-road mode while in park, drive, and every other gear, and repeated in low range. The SLS compressor never activated.
  • Checked all doors, rear door, and hood, to assure they were closed. The interior lights dim as the last open door is closed.
  • Pulled fuses and relay that allow SLS to function. The SLS warning light activated in the dash each time I pulled the fuses/relay.
  • Drove the truck around ten miles. There was no change in the rear suspension height.
I opened the window with the engine running and with the engine off while pressing the SLS button on the dash. I cannot hear the compressor running.

All fuses look good. I didn't check them (or the relay) for continuity, but when I pulled them the SLS warning light came on, so I'm assuming the fuses and relay are fine. I don't have an ABS/Three Amigo warnings (it seems the SLS is tied in with those systems via the fuses), so I think it's safe to say the fuses and relays are fine.

My truck isn't leaning to one side, it is even, so I'm thinking the airbags are fine. The height has been steady after driving around for 10 miles.

When pressing the SLS button, the off-road mode SLS lamp lights and I get three beeps, but it goes out after releasing the button.

I have no warning lights on the dash and the rear suspension doesn't seem to have dropped after driving the truck 10 miles.

I have a feeling that my SLS compressor is shot. Can anyone reaffirm this?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
PM me your number and I'll call you today.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update from Mike's call. Mike believes one or both of the following:

• SLABS System Fault
  • Compressor Failure
I'm going to try to find a shop to pull codes from the SLABS system, but that might be difficult. I WILL NOT give my local Rover franchise (Field's of Madison) my business.

Given that there are no warning lights lit up in my dash and all the fuses and relays are good, I'm really leaning towards compressor failure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like DiscoMike and I were both wrong.

A bit of duct tape fixed my broken left side height sensor and everything returned to normal working condition.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Without reading for codes codes, neither of us were wrong.
Who put the tape on the sensor? I bet someone had it out and did not make sure the o-ring was still in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts