Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to wait until the 130s are legally importable into the U.S. and I don't want to buy someone else's "re-badged" 130 as a Series vehicle and have my insurance dropped if I ever am unlucky enough to be in an accident. What's a fellow to do, buy a 109, legally import it and convert it into a 130 double cab! :clap:

However, I'm hoping someone else has some advice for me since I am completely new to this auto-Frankenstein approach. Anyone with advice, say as to, how much to buy a 130 body, how much I would have to stretch the frame, would a RR frame be easier or better to stretch? Of course, any advice would be helpful!

· Registered
5 Posts
buy a 130 chassis and build a double cab body on it. As we all know land rovers, especially defenders are a big meccano set on wheels. They unbolt and bolt together like a jigsaw puzzle so there is nothing you cant do!!!! :drink1:

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
The chassis would have to be extended by 18 inches the 130 wheel base is actually 127"

· Registered
641 Posts
I remember finding a website once of a 130 that was built somewhere out west (US) using a chassis and body bits imported and a domestic drivetrain(Chevy 350, muncie trans etc) I'll try to find it again and post the link as it sounds exactly like what you are after.

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
130fan said:
I don't want to wait until the 130s are legally importable into the U.S. and I don't want to buy someone else's "re-badged" 130 as a Series vehicle and have my insurance dropped if I ever am unlucky enough to be in an accident. What's a fellow to do, buy a 109, legally import it and convert it into a 130 double cab! :clap:

However, I'm hoping someone else has some advice for me since I am completely new to this auto-Frankenstein approach. Anyone with advice, say as to, how much to buy a 130 body, how much I would have to stretch the frame, would a RR frame be easier or better to stretch? Of course, any advice would be helpful!
find an old range rover chassis chop it in half in the middle ,then get 27 inches of box section made to match that of the chassis rails weld that in the middle of the 2 halves get a 110 rear x member graft that on the back and hey presto a 130 chassis,source or have made a 130 rear prop shaft ,then make up the bodywork as you see fit tis easy,im in the middle of planning a 4 dr range rover 130 pick up just for the crack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.