Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - Anyone know anything about this recall??

Fuel Tank recall - LR recall number R156/NHTSA recall number 04V203

Apparently you can call LR at 1-866-637-6837 and the LR dealer will replace your fuel tank due to the fact that they crack and spring leaks. Seems like a good thing to do. I plan on calling them and finding out more - but I thought I would let y'all know about. I found out about it at this website - seems like a good place to bookmark......http://www.bvlr.com/browse.php?page=recalls

PS this is also the same recall notice for the Disco 1

Cheers!

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Called my local dealership and they don't know anything about it.
I guess that comes from them not being enthusiasts.
Anyway the fellow there said it would be at least a day for the repair if not longer. What am I supposed to drive while they replace my fuel tank?
I wonder if Tulsa Land Rover can do it quicker.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I called the dealer.. they have to know.

It is not an enthusiast want.

It is a law.

They need to replace it.

Do your homework on the VIN and make sure it is covered. Google can help with details.

If they say they never heard of it, print out the recall and show it to them to remind them of their responsibilities.

Now... you'll have to pay for all the labor and tubes. They only cover the tank.
If there is something I do not know. Let me know.

Best,
Andy

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Oh hell no.
I'm not letting them do the recall if they are gonna charge me shop fees for that and labor too!
I'd rather catch fire than pay.
I'm serious. That's just rediculus. That's gonna be $500 for sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got the recall on gas tank replacement for my 1991 RR.

Took it to dealer and replaced free of any charge.

OkieRover, maybe you don't care about yourself but are you the only one in vehicle ?

Mine hauls kids once in awhile and there is a potential for fire in severe accident.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
I REALLY REALLY doubt they will try and stick you for ANY costs on such a HUGE safety issue... Talk about bad PR!

Need to call my dealer soon to get it done.. thanks for letting us know!

Serg :clap:

·
1990 RRC
75 Posts
Can anyone here verify the Vin #'s included on this recall?

Here's the best I could find:

(taken from Rover Connection-Recall Info)

U.S. and Canadian 1987 through 1991 Range Rover vehicles within the VIN ranges shown below are involved in this recall action:

Year Model VIN
1987 All HA265406-HA301324
1988 All JA300620-JA344935
1989 All KA336636-KA395665
1990 All LA391190-LA457333
1991 All MA442792-MA462136

Any of the mechanics here have any insight? I know it's a long shot but I've had amazing luck here in the past.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i'll try that number... i called the "local" dealer 120 miles away (lex. ky) and they didn't have a clue... but i don't have a lot of confidence in them... took the parts guy 20 minutes to look up the part # on an oil pressure sensor...then charged $19 for it... but the parts counter sure is pretty and shiny...

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
actually with our system if the recall is still open its possible the dealer could run the vin and look it up.

Its possible. I know on the newer ones for the D1s were easier to see.

and the damn thing is so old unless the shop was open before the recall came about then yes they will know and the fact that the service writer may still be around.

I know a few writers that have been in the business for a while and would know old recalls.

·
1990 RRC
75 Posts
Thanks!

I'll try to snap a few pictures.. it's raining REALLY hard right now, otherwise I'd already have it done.

The dealer in RI sent me this in an email since I posted here yesterday:

The following is a print out directly from Land Rover and if there was any open recalls on your car it would show on this page under “open field service actions”

There are no open recalls on this vehicle.

I also just looked up the fuel tank recall and it applies to only vin range PA – SA … your vin range is LA

I contacted LRNA to confirm this. The woman i spoke with at LRNA was really nice, and will give me an answer to whether it is covered, if it was already done, and if so- the date that it was done. She needed two days to get the information.

I know this is a really old truck, and a general nuisance for LRNA and the dealer to look into. I bought the truck from the original owner, who had incredible records of everything that was done (a surprise)- but there's no record of this.

Just thought I'd try to cover all the bases. I do not have any reason NOT to believe the dealer, I just wanted to do my homework. There is nothing I would more readily spend money than this. If its not covered, that AOK with me, I'll spend the $$$ and do it on my own.

I just couldn't find definitive info. Thanks for all the help. Rovin4life- I'll send you a pm...

·
Registered
179 Posts
i had the tank&pump replaced under warrenty /recall last year- no cost to me, :Dthey also replaced rear sway bar bushes&brackets&hardware no cost to me, this is a recall,you can not be charged for this, they should also be offering no-cost transportation to you.
cheers, pete bat

·
1990 RRC
75 Posts
Thanks a million Elemental

My truck has had the recall completed already. No free-lunch for me!

At least now I know what I'll be doing this weekend... woo hooo

Or maybe this will be her first visit to the great shop in Jamestown.

·
1990 RRC
75 Posts
Just for information purposes: here's an update.

LRNA called back this morning-

The recall did not apply to my vehicle. (it is a 1990)

Elemental was cool enough to advise that it had been done already (thanks again!)

I've also learned that the metal tanks were replaced with plastic ones (across the board)

Oh well. Looks like I somehow drew a short straw. I have a specimen that was/was not replaced, if so, with another steel tank at an unknown time. But my Vin is outside the range of vehicles covered. "There are no open service bulletins for your vin"

My tank is leaking right along the seam of the skidplate (just as it should have under the recall!!??) Of well. Shes reallly old, and I live feet from salt water- so its completely expected that it would happen.

off to hunt for a replacement on my own woohoo.

anyone have a preferred source to find one? Looks like Rnorth has one in stock.

:drive:

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Pikes Peak Rovers might have a used one 719 636 3888

also try Will Terry on Dweb

If you want new then Rovers North and atlantic british are good places to look for parts, just pricey

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 95 classic needs the new tank, I remember getting a letter from Land Rover a few years ago.

I called the dealership a few weeks ago to arrange the swap and they informed me that I would have to pay for new fuel lines if they broke them during the tank replacement. What a joke.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.