Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My used LR3 came with the receiver hitch attached. There was no key furnished, the dealer tells me that I need to drop $80+/- for a new lock assembly as they can't sell me a key. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Call a locksmith and see if they can make a key for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the locksmith route, they said they didn't have a key to fit it. I don't know if this is some bizarre keyway or what exactly the problem is. I read the Disco3UK thread but couldn't find a solution other than PMing the moderator. I'm not sure how common a problem receiver theft is, but they make it sound like it's a Homeland Security issue. It sounds like I'd better get ready to cough up $80 for a new lock. Sigh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem...
Baught my LR3 used and didn't have the Key. I told the sales person to contact the previous owner, but no luck. Guess it'll just stay on the car..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem that you are running into. I did break down and buy the new lock mechanism, but it was closer to $50. I installed it myself. There is a way to remove the old handle by taking a small nail awl and driving out a pin that goes through the spindle that the handle turns. With that removed you can slide off the locking handle, and replace it with the new one, and then remove your hitch. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
had same problem i took a small screwdriver put it in the key hole moved it around on the key pins in top of key hole with a small forward rotational force. it is a very simple lock 2 or three pins to line up.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Drill it out and buy the part above. This is how I did mine. My locksmith recommended I go this route as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 LR3 HSE and was having the exact same issue. That picture that is posted above really helped me make it simple to remove without having the key. See that silver roll pin in the pic? Well that gets pushed into the green handle when mounted on the hitch...here's a hint, drive that pin out of your existing green handle with a 2.5mm allen wrench and a hammer. You'll figure it out from there. Scary how simple that was ;)

BTW my local LR dealer only wants $22.50 for the handle and lock set.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I had a similar issue happen in my hitch. I talked to locksmiths etc, all with no luck. I even asked the dealer if they could get it off. No avail. They told me they could drill it out for me, I declined obviously. So, I just drilled it out myself and it popped right off. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ordered spare key from site in uk. If your lock is 1017 (stamped on lock where key goes in) I might be able to duplicate and mail you one at cost - else pm me for uk web site to order from

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought these were universal keys. When I bought my LR3 the seller also bought a RRS at the same time (we did a courtesy trade at a dealer). While we were there at the dealer waiting he said we could have the hitch that was on the RRS because he still had the one from the LR3 at home, which he kept because he needed one.

There was no key and the dealership (not a Land Rover one) could not get it off, so we left it. A few days later the seller emailed saying that he was able to take the hitch off the RRS with his spare key from his other hitch, but the key could not be removed from the hitch unless it was attached to a vehicle.

So, as long as you have the same generation of hitch (there are 3), I would think the keys are universal....I would think any dealer could get one off - I can't imagine they would not keep a hitch key somewhere, but then again, they may not really care about this infrequent situation...:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw this old thread, and I'm hoping you could send me the process of removing the lock pin assembly for a Land Rover hitch installed but no key. Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts