Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I now have about 2 months and about 5000km on my rebuild with flanged liners.
Until recently completely dry, temps 185-190f, all good , very happy.
Started noticing a couple drips about half way back on the transmission, passenger side.
Initially assumed it was just water from the a/c condensation drain but noticed it did not evaporate on the ground like water should.
Verified that it was coolant - dam dam dam I have lost about 1 litre in the past aprox.week.
From the location I first suspected that I may have damaged the heater core when the engine went south, (the only part I did not change as part of the engine rebuild)
So I got it up on the hoist at my shop to verify where it was coming from. Not the heater core both drains are dry. Upon closer look it is actually running down the fuel lines.
Nothing visible from the top, all is dry, heater hose connections and hoses all dry, clean and tight.
So it's parked until I can pull the upper intake and figure out where it is coming from.
There is no way I will chance hurting the new engine by driving it with a known leak
I'm going to have to remove the upper intake, coils etc. To see in ther but is definitely passenger rear corner.
I figure it can only be 1 of 2 things, intake /valley pan gasket or ....... Head?
Anyone ever experience similar?:eek

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
This is just a thought Red
if you had the heads skimmed especially if it was a deep skim, it can change the manifold to head angle very slightly and you can either skim the intake or put a thicker layer of GOOD sealant between the heads, intake manifold and the valley gasket. you are talking less than a 0.5mm (20thou) gap increase on a small skim but it can be enough to change the seal character.
post pictures when you get it apart
cheers
Barri

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey
Glad to see you back on here and hope your truck is running well for you.
Been busy at work and have not had the time to get into it yet. So it sits and waits.
Will post what I find

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on repair

Just an update for anyone interested.
I finally had time to dig into my leak.
I pre ordered an intake gasket with that being my suspect and that was the fault.
To recap ; 5000 miles on complete rebuild, minor coolant leak from passenger rear of engine, running down the fuel line and dripping half way back on the transmission (about the same spot as the a/c drain)
Disassembled it this morning and after getting the upper intake off it was definite that the passenger side of the intake was leaking (minor) at the head. Some signs of a leak at the passenger rear but also staining and wet on top of the valley.
After pulling the lower intake I could see that the leak was more evident at the passenger side front corner
On closer inspection, it looks like the gasket slipped /shifted up and was not properly sealing. Cleaned everything up and put it back together with new intake gasket and some "extra" permatex "right stuff"
All looks good no leaks!:grin:grin:grin

Reactions: gurunutkins
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.