Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics from the trip we took to Asateague Island. For $70 you get a one year pass and there is about 25 miles of beaches and dunes to explore. These make for great backcountry extended stays in the rover. The island is full of wild horses and deer. You can surf fish all day. Wheel the dunes in the afternoon/evening, then have great meal of whatever the days catch was.
Our next backcountry trip is planned for 4 days this April. These are just a few shots of some fo the more accessible spots on the island.
1:Bridge over Cheseapeake Bay
2:"Beefalo" farm on the way to asateague. Strange cross between a buffalo and a cow.
3:Rehoboth Beach; a shoreline defense station, circa 1950
4:Rehoboth Bay
5:Deer on Asateague
6-9: Various Spots on the Island
10:Stuck on the Bay Bridge (pretty cool shot)

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OkieRover said:
The buffalo and beef mix was an effort many years ago to fight bursolosis(sp). It had mixed results. But people still today bread beefalos. I hear the taste good.
I've never tasted it. I would like to.

They look like your old run of the mill buffalo until you get close. Then you can really see the "cow'" characteristics. Especially the horns which point up and out and extend beyod the ears. The buffalo's are shorter. Also they are not as brawny as the buffalo and appear to be timid.

Oh well....they look pretty cool.

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I'm really surprised the fuggin' tree huggers haven't locked that island down yet.
Luckily they haven't found an endangered species of sand fleas to have the island protected from the evils of the SUV crowd.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OkieRover said:
I'm really surprised the fuggin' tree huggers haven't locked that island down yet.
Luckily they haven't found an endangered species of sand fleas to have the island protected from the evils of the SUV crowd.
That surprised me as well. When they told me I could wheel out there year round for $70 my knees got weak. Now I just hit the island and dissapear for 3 or 4 days. There are regular patrols fromk park rangers (who are very helpful) but there intent is to make sure the flora and fauna is not distiurbed and that poeple in Large chevy trucks with 38 inch super swampers aren't ripping up the dunes (like I saw this weekend).
Overall...one of the best kept secrets on the East Coast and a great place to test both you and your rovers endurance.

· Micro RC Nut
47 Posts
Great Area! I'm in Bowie and hangout in Annapolis a lot. My extent over the Bay Bridge is usually to Fisherman's Inn (GREAT Seafood) or down to St Michael's , Tilgman Island. I'll have to check out this place this spring/summer. :cool:

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DarkTari said:
Great Area! I'm in Bowie and hangout in Annapolis a lot. My extent over the Bay Bridge is usually to Fisherman's Inn (GREAT Seafood) or down to St Michael's , Tilgman Island. I'll have to check out this place this spring/summer. :cool:
I live in Largo...about 5 minutes from Bowie. we should go wheelin' some time.

· Premium Member
1,301 Posts
You guys might also want to check out my previous posts re: outer banks.....it's another great area for off road fun. We usually go for a few weeks every year.
Just search the forum with "outer banks" plenty of posts and pics.

· Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,914 Posts
bluemax09 said:
Its on the eastern shore of Maryland near the Virginia Border
My mother's friend's daughter (that's a mouth full to say), is getting married in June and it is in Norfolk, VA. I might just stop by there in the Rover and go exploring. Sounds Cool!:cool: Post some details or a site to go to! That'd be awesome!:buttrock:

· Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,914 Posts
2002DiscoII said:
Nice pics, that looks pretty cool. In boring Ohio, there isn't any place like that to go to. :cool:
You said it! I'm originally from Plymouth, MI, but right now I'm in Lima, OH going to school at University of Northwestern Ohio. The only trail to really hit is a mile outta town and is drenched in water, too wet for anyone to go back there.:bawling: But I'll just wait til it warms up out here!:D Then possibly go to Virginia in June!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah...I'm familiar wit OBX...I grew up there...it is beautiful. my dad and mom spent their homeymoon on a beach in ocracoke camping out of their truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.