Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a red brake light lit up in my dashboard for some time now. I've searched the forums and found feedback/commentary that it may be due to low brake fluid and/or a sticking ebrake sensor.

I took my Disco to get an oil change today and the gentleman told me that it was low, but that they could not legally top it off due to possibly "worsening the underlying issue" of why it's low to begin with.

Question: What could cause my brake fluid to be low? Something serious? No, I have not had any squeaking with my brakes *and* my ABS Amigo trio has been on longer than this particular light has.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Leaky master cylinder, for one. Check around the mounting flange and reservoir coupling and see if anything is wet. Any puddles where you normally park?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had my neighbor help me find the leak. It's the master cylinder right where it meets up with the brake booster. In fact, you can tell it's coming from the master cylinder as the fluid that has leaked on the booster has stripped its paint away.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So, you can buy a rebuild kit, if you are mechanical enough or a new one, do not buy a rebuilt or used one and do a full 2 quart DOT 4 brake flush when done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes, that is the one.
How mechanical are you, have you ever rebuilt one before? Might want to send me your number and I'll walk you thru the bleed process. Make sure you buy 2 quarts of a good DOT4 brake fluid like Vavoline.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that is the one.
How mechanical are you, have you ever rebuilt one before? Might want to send me your number and I'll walk you thru the bleed process. Make sure you buy 2 quarts of a good DOT4 brake fluid like Vavoline.
No, I have never built one before. First timer here.

I would be delighted to talk to you! I'll PM you my number.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I rebuilt mine last November. If I had it to do over again I would buy a new one instead of rebuilding. And I am reasonably handy with a wrench, etc.

Rebuilding took a lot of additional time, but swapping the old MC for a new one takes only a few minutes. Either way you'll need to bleed the system, as Mike said.

If you're strapped for cash you can save some bucks by rebuilding, but if time = money go with a new one. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts