Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On sunday, a group of rovers and i went to georgia and webster passes. it was a hell of a time! right before we headed down the switchbacks, we were at the foot of the final Red Cone descent. it was a sight to behold. :eek: To the three members in CO, how would you rate this trail?

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Too bad we couldn't hook up Saturday on Coney Flats! This weekend is Kelly Flats, which should be a great trip, followed by Wheeler Lake the weekend after, to cap off the Solihull season. Call me !

I would rate Red Cone as easy, or about a 2 on the 10 point scale EXCEPT for the very very steep descent,,,which makes the trail DIFFICULT, or a 6-8 depending on who you ask. For me,,, I would say more like a 9. I personally have not done this trail,,,and probably won't. I get WAY to sphincter-clenched on trails like this --- sheer drop off, perhaps the steepest descent in the state. Very loose dirt & rock all the way down. I'm built for rocks, not 75 degree descents! :eek: Very easy to make a mental error & lose it. When you lose it on Red Cone, you lose it big. See www. colorado4x4.org for some pics of a Ford Explorer that, in an act of monumental stupidity, tried to pass another rig on this trail & fell several hundred feet. :eek: I would actually prefer to do this trail stock than built as I"m currently built. My ideal rig for this trail would be an DII or LR3 bone-stock with hill descent, a hip flask, and the rosary. But that's just me,,, I obviously have issues w/ weird shelf descents like this. :rellye :drink1:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
PS: For those unfamiliar w/ this trail, those pics don't do it justice. NO PICS can do Red Cone justice IMHO. Again, this reflects my own personal issues w/ trails like this (based on harrowing personal experience) but I'm here to tell ya: this trail is freakin' STEEP. Lose it here and your widow is collecting the insurance money.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is this the one? this guy is an idiot :lol: there is absoulutely no space to pass on those switchbacks. during my descent, i was only a few inches from the rock wall on the right and the dropoff on the right. i dont even think a dirt bike would fit there.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Yeah that's the guy,,,the explorer I was referring to

llesra you should come to Kelly Flats this Saturday. We are meeting at Johnson's Corner truck stop off I-25 on the way up to Ft. Collins at 9am. There should be at least 5-6 Rovers there, probably more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.