Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to gauge the interest of LR owners in the central,KY area about getting together for an offroad trip to Red River Gorge. I have been there numerous times in stock Landies and have had a great experiance every time. If you have never been to the Gorge you are missing out on some of the greatest natural scenery in Kentucky, if you have been you already know. Thinking about sometime maybe in Sept. Post back and let me know.
Thanks,

·
Registered
165 Posts
did you mean to post in "midwest" catagory?

Hey what's up, I'm in Nashville,TN here, and have heard great/fun things about the Red River Gorge area. I would actually like to come wheel that place. How soon are you talking about getting a trip up? I have a wedding to go to next weekend. How far (time/hours) is Red River from Nashville roughly?
Do you have any pics to post? And can you camp there? If so is it designated, or camp where you like?

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, as far as a specific date that I don't know. I was just looking at some time in September. I just did a basic search on mapquest and from Nashville to Slade,KY(yeah I know what your thinking, but it is eastern Ky you know :D ) it was 4hours 19 min.! A long drive but well worth it in my opinion, it is about 2 hours from Louisville and my wife and I have done plenty of day trips to that area. There is plenty of camping both primative and your basic national park campground stuff. Try looking up the Daniel Boone National forest website that will give you some more info. on the park. As for some pics I do have a few of my old 89 classic out there. Give me some time and I will TRY to get them up here. I know on Discoweb under the trails and events area there are a couple of threads that have some pictures that might give you an idea of the area. If you have any more concerns or questions let me know.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I wanna go wheel'n!

I know the threads you're talking about. I looked for them but couldn't find them. I had seen pictures in the past. It looked very cool up there. And primative camping is exactly what I'm looking for. I actually will more than likely be coming up there this fall when weather is cooler and better aclimated for camping.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah camping in this weather we have been enduring would be miserible. Went camping two weeks ago in U.P. of Michigan and Wed. of the trip the low temp. was 44, it was wonderful. I miss livin up north or more specifically I miss the great lakes keeping temps. down! Anyway, I will still try and post those pics here and once I get a definate date for a trip that will go up here also. How is the offroading scene down by you? Where are some decent trails?

·
Registered
165 Posts
local...

I'm still working on that. The big areas are Monteagle Mountain near Chattanooga (souteast TN), Tellico (Athens,TN), and Windrock/Coal Creek (Oakridge,TN).

The local trails in the immediate vicinity around Nashville are pretty sloppy from what I hear. As in you need 33" Mud terrains to even attempt them. And you better have a winch or a buddy with one, was what I was told.

I'm still look'n for some other places. It'll take time but surely I'm bound to find some.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wheel'n

02RhinoRange
Have you done any of the above mentioned trails? If so, could a non lifted D1(soon to have 245/75m/ts) have any fun on those trails?
Monteagle is where LR Nashville does their twice a month rides with customers. There's some hardcore trails and some mild to medium stuff that a stock D1 should handle just fine especially with those tires. (and the best part is it's a free ORV area i believe :confused )

Windrock/Coal Creek I've heard has been kinda ruined do to some bulldozers grading the trails flat for better atv access I belive. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) But had some mild and tough trails also. D1 should be fine on most trails there, but you also have to pay to ride.

Tellico is where all the "bad-boys" like to go play with full travel suspension J&@P's and short wheelbase LANDCruisers. But there's plenty of trails a stock D1 could handle with those new tires. But I would go with somone incase you need a recovery or a buddy with a winch. Tellico is more rocks than mud. :drive:

Windrock and Monteagle might be hard to get maps for, but I think it's relatively easy to pull up a Tellico map on the net.

If you would like more input on these trails post a question on the TNrovers.com forum. Lots of guys there ride those trails. :drink1:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bump! In case anyone is still interested, we would still like to plan a trip maybe late Novemberish. If you need to see pics of what we did last trip it is in the Off Road section. Unfortunetly we got a little to eager when we got to the rock crawling part that we stopped taking pictures. Our trucks are stock,one with old all-terrians, and one with 1yr old mud terrians and we had no problem. It was super cool. I thought I was going to roll over once, but Badger1 hung inside the passenger back door Camel Trophy Style! :D

Any who, no damage just some good old adrenaline followed up with some beer! :beer:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Count me in. I was in the group of Dwebers that went a couple of times. We went last Feb and camped in stumps cave. Froze my ass off, but it was a decent time.

Lets find someone who knows the place well as from past experience us foreigners spent most of the time getting lost and not doing any decent trail riding other than the same 4 or 5 trails.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ares said:
Count me in. I was in the group of Dwebers that went a couple of times. We went last Feb and camped in stumps cave. Froze my ass off, but it was a decent time.

Lets find someone who knows the place well as from past experience us foreigners spent most of the time getting lost and not doing any decent trail riding other than the same 4 or 5 trails.
What trails did you run?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Badger1 said:
What trails did you run?
Im not sure, we ran quite a few. Some on purpose, some on accident. I can say this, if you are not familiar with the place it is very easy to get lost. A GPS would be lovely.

Here is a pic of a couple of Discos in our group descending White's Arch. It looks more ominous in person. On either side of the trail, your looking at probably 300 foot drop. The trail is tricky, but we managed to get a couple of stockers through with some creativity. It really is a nice place and is beautiful this time of year.

The other pic is of stumps cave where we camped.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those are the trails that we have run. Whites Arch was fun. Stumps cave wouldn't have been great except for the the cave and the big muddy uphill in the beginning. Spas Creek is interesting, but gets worse every time we go. One of those trails that you have to get more than half way through before ou know if you can finish. First tim ewe went with a stock Rav4!!! Now a stock disco may have trouble if there has been too much rain.

We'll keep in touch and see what else we can find out before then!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.