Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Red River Gorgeous!!!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Funrover 
#1 ·
My husband and I had a great day at Red River and Natural Bridge. Tried 2 new trails, Stumps Cave and White's Arch. Stumps cave's trail itself isn't any to spectacular. But on the side road off the main one there are some nice mud pits and a great big, straight up muddy trail. It was foggy and drizzling today which kept everything wet, plus that is one region of Kentucky that never lacks for rain fall!

White's Arch was very challenging. Lots of mud pits, off-camber and rock crawling. In some areas there is not a lot of room for error. I think I did a pretty good job for my first official off road trip. I did get lots of spotting from my husband, Badger1.

Can't wait to go back there again, maybe with more rovers! Hopefully by then I will have been able to ditch the SLS. Still though, no damage, lots of mud, lots of fun!

#2 ·
Love the pics, looks fun... Great job on the three-wheeling...... What state is that in? Keep on useing those rovers, it's always great too see.

#5 ·
Wow, great pics, I've heard good and boring things about Red River Gorge in KY. Some have said it's fun, and others said it's not much. But from the looks of your pics I think it'd make a fun weekend. :drive:
I'm in Nashville,TN and would like to check that place out sometime.
I've been told you can camp anywhere you like there on that land.
I've seen some pics of people camping under that overhang rock that your discos were parked under.
So mind me asking where in KY is this place?

#6 ·
If you have a Kentucky gazetteer almost all the trails are found on page 53, centered around two towns Stanton and Slade. Stumps cave is the one pictured and the pictures just don't do it any justice! To find that trail head east out of Lexington towards West Virginia on the Bert Combs Mountain PKWY. When you hit exit 22, which is the Stanton exit get off and take a left on KY 213. At the second light you will take a right on KY 11/15 and follow that back over the Mountain PKWY and through a few smaller towns Rosslyn then Bowen. It is a few miles past Bowen look for KY 1639 a small twisty paved road on the right hand side take that. Notice the mile markers on the left hand shoulder of the road, as you will follow 1639 until you come to MM 0!
At MM 0 there are two very small roads to your left that kind of look like someones driveway but they are not. One is about a 90degree left the other about 135 degrees(hairpin turn) Take the hairpin turn or the road furthest left. Drive down that road about a mile until you see a house on the left side with a split rail fence, turn left on the gravel road next to the house. There are no rights on the trail so drive down the trail and you will see the your first left which goes nowhere keep driving until you come to the next major trail off to you left, take that. When you are there you will see two trails the upper which is the shorter more fun way(engage low/diff lock) with a few intimidating mud pits(take the lower route on the first pit, looks horrible but it is passable), or the lower route which is longer and easier. Follow either one of these trails and you will run right into Stumps cave, you will know it when you see it!
About camping there is a ranger station in Stanton. Where you took a right at KY 11/15 at the light, just take a left there and it is about 2 miles down the road to your left.
About the trails in the Gorge/Natural Bridge area being easy well it depends. I guess if you have a 12 inch lift front and rear lockers, 44 inch tires it might not be that interesting...but what would then? If you are looking for a huge challenge try the Nature trail off Big Bend road or for alot of fun try Whites Arch also off Big Bend road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.