Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here, I'm not a mechanic by any means, and hopefully this hasn't been answered a thousand times already (if so I wasn't able to find it).
It started as the dreadful ticking sound on the drivers side head with engine cold or warm. The speed of the tick varied depending on the rpm (it also varied in sound level at random). I used an engine flush additive then changed the oil (10w-40 Valvoline synthetic blend) and used an oil additive that's supposed to free up lifters and etc. The sound never went away. Anywho before I knew it I was driving down the highway and I lost power. No bang sound just loss of power, but it still was running, just very rough! Towed it home took it apart and found the camshaft to be broken into 3 sections. First break after front two cylinders and second break before the rear two cylinders. I have no idea how I'll be able to fully remove all of the camshaft?!

Any tips on anything would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million!
Mike

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Unless you want to extract the block, you'll have to remove the grille, oil cooler, and radiator then pull it out the front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thanks. I've got the grill off and the radiator out. Not the oil cooler though. The camshaft is broken into pretty small chunks and looks like there "should" be clearance between the block and oil cooler to get it out chunk by chunk (from the looks anyways). But I can defenitly remove it if needed!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Also, if you're putting in a new cam, put in new tappets and pushrods as well. And if your timing chain has never been replaced, great time to do that too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I'll for sure buy those components and install them. I do have the manual, but as it shows pulling the camshaft out I'm just not sure how I'll get the parts out that are broken off... Any recommendations on websites/or brands of timing chain, camshaft (and camshaft bearings), tappets, and pushrods?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks! I'll for sure buy those components and install them. I do have the manual, but as it shows pulling the camshaft out I'm just not sure how I'll get the parts out that are broken off... Any recommendations on websites/or brands of timing chain, camshaft (and camshaft bearings), tappets, and pushrods?
You need to find our WHY your camshaft failed before throwing a bunch of new parts at it. It's not easy to break a camshaft, especially in two places.
Oh, and by the way, engine flushes are a BAD idea. All your doing is possibly breaking loose debris that could clog oil passages and cause the kind of failure you just experienced.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That makes sense. Would the ticking I heard before have been something that would cause a camshaft failure? Is the ticking typically lifter related?
Ticking could be caused by a lot of things, not the least of which is low oil pressure. IF you inadvertently clogged an oil passage to the point of near starvation, that could cause your broken camshaft. Not saying that is what happened, but COULD be. Do a search on "ticking engine". You'll get tons of info. After what you experienced, I personally wouldn't trust the engine again short of a full tear-down/rebuild, but that's just me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.