Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
388 Posts
rov'n said:
what are the advantages to removing the cats on a disco?
If its a 96 and up there are no advantages because the CEL will stay lit. 2 pre and 2 post o2 sensors on those D1's.

· Registered
720 Posts
Wow rov'n, quite the image sportiff you have posted there. Somehow, my experience of the fairer sex associated with Land Rovers has been different - more the 'help you jack the Disco out of the mud' type lady, the type that has biceps and wants to produce babies and dinner; the type you can live with! I fear your female images belong more with the sports car set - but I'm just an old fart....
Oh yes, sorry, about the cats - why do you want to remove them?

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pavel said:
I fear your female images belong more with the sports car set - but I'm just an old fart....
Oh yes, sorry, about the cats - why do you want to remove them?
i have more than just a land rover :drive:

i was just wondering whos done it and what kind of help it gave thier truck. :drink1:

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Whoa there fellas!!! You are forgetting about the back pressure that is created by the cat system. Your engine is specifically designed/tuned to work with that back pressure. Removing your cats will cause long term damage to your engine. If you are serious about replacing them, as in, you have to, go with magnaflow high performance cats. They will give you the best performance while still maintaining the backflow your engine needs.

· MG
714 Posts
No cats on mine (no carbon canister, either).

The Haynes manual mentions that there's a resistor that gets changed out near the ECU depending on the existence or not of cats, but doesn't give any other details...

Cheers,

· Registered
720 Posts
I'm with roverX on this one - don't forget there is some pretty fancy engineering that goes into exhaust systems - engineering that has been developed over decades. I got low enough marks in a 2nd year fluid dynamics class to know that the principles involved are sophisticated. There's another point too: the days of subverting automotive emissions systems are long gone on the west coast of N. America... Putting the point (that we are all breathing the same atmosphere) another way, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

· MG
714 Posts
Pavel, I smell what you're stepping in: I agree that we have to "leave only our tracks", but don't forget that emissions regulations were instituted because the volume of "tracks" was too big for mother nature to deal with.

Where I'm at, these tracks that I (along with the rest of the motor vehicles in this country) leave due to a lack of cats is not enough to challenge the CO2 cycle.

As far as that delicate engineering you mention, I agree that our vehicles are a clever balance, and that rov'n should be careful with some of the mods he's thinking of. Nonetheless, given my recent reading (and the fact that there are a whole bunch of Discos out there with no cats), legal, moral, environmental considerations aside, I'm sure the modification can be done.

I'm glad beerdrinking isn't this controversial...

Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.