Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to the unhappy conclusion that it's time for an engine rebuild. Some time in the Fall I think. I've looked in the Rave manual but I don't see any guidance for removing the engine.

Is there a best or easiest way? Out the top? Out the bottom? Remove the engine and trans as a unit or separate them and leave the trans in the car? This truck has the automatic.

Thanks in advance.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
I just recently pulled the entire drivetrain out of a 2001. Engine definitely comes out the top and I did engine and trans out separatly. Trans out the bottom complete trans and transfer case assembly. Pretty straight forward. Have you ever done an engine removal before? Trans and transfer case are heavy I was surprised. Weighs more than the engine for sure

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just recently pulled the entire drivetrain out of a 2001. Engine definitely comes out the top and I did engine and trans out separatly. Trans out the bottom complete trans and transfer case assembly. Pretty straight forward. Have you ever done an engine removal before? Trans and transfer case are heavy I was surprised. Weighs more than the engine for sure
Thank you for this. It didn't occur to me that the transfer case and transmission are an integral unit. I can see they would be pretty heavy. I have a 2 ton engine hoist, but that weight capacity diminishes as you extend the boom.

I've removed engines from cars, but never from a truck like this. The strategy with the old Triumph sports cars I normally work on is to remove the engine and trans as a unit. In this case, I'd be just as happy to leave the trans in the truck provided they can be separated and reconnected fairly easily. The engine itself should be quite light.

Is it safe to assume I'll have to remove the intake plenum and coil packs to gain access to the upper bell housing bolts? I also assume I'll need to remove the bonnet for clearance.

I'm getting a handle on this truck's many issues. The list of things to fix is getting shorter, but I'll enjoy driving it a lot more once I get its oil consumption problems under control.

· Registered
172 Posts
There are 18 mm nuts on the bottom side if the engine mounts and there at 13mm bolts (8 of them) in the top of the transmission bell housing (automatic) and the a few bolts that at in the oil pan. Then there is everything that is above the motor

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

· Registered
4,797 Posts
Pull the upper intake off, remove motor mounts and lower engine. You will now have extra access to the upper bolts from above and below. It has been may experience that those on the sides are most difficult to access due to the exhaust interfering.

Make damn sure you remove the four bolts from the torque converter and slide it as far into the bellhousing as it will go otherwise you'll be hating life.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
I too dropped it down after removing the engine mounts. upper bell housing bolts were still not very accessible after removing the intake and coils.
I struggled with the torque converter bolts (access to them more than the fact they needed to come out) realized there is an access hole not the drivers side (rubber plug half way up)

· Registered
172 Posts
As for the engine wiring harness, you can unplug is from the computer which is behind the glove box if you have left hand drive. There is a rubber boot on the top of the fire wall. Computer is on the passenger wall. Connections should come out easily

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
4.3??? Do you mean 4.6?

· Registered
172 Posts
If you meant 4.6, then yes everything should mount up the same. You will have to work out the sai unless you get one without

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.