Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I found topics skirting around my question but no good answer yet. I have replacement wood for my center console and door panels but I am unsure how to remove the old wood. Its largely intact with very little to no cracking on some pieces so I can't peel it off in chunks like I've been told to do. The Rave manual also doesn't really cover how to remove these trim sections. Any help would be appreciated and pictures would be equally great. Thanks in advance!:drink1:

·
Registered
146 Posts
For the door panels, you need to remove the door panels. The wood is screwed in from the back. Not sure about the rest.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
255 Posts
yours may be screwed on, which I think is a good idea, but I know mine have little hookie fixtures glued to the back and they bump slide off. don't ask me which way, I don't remember.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yours may be screwed on, which I think is a good idea, but I know mine have little hookie fixtures glued to the back and they bump slide off. don't ask me which way, I don't remember.
Thanks. What's your year? Mine is a 95 LWB

·
Registered
146 Posts
Come to think of it - I only glanced at mine last time I had a door panel off and assumed those were screws. Might have been the same as yours

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys mine did in fact just bump out and up and slide off. I love those hookie things as opposed to disassembling my doors. The center console did require some dis-assembly however so I will post pictures here and the steps to remove it for the good of future generations lol. These were shot in a garage with a phone so forgive the awful quality. Also I am completely new to working on anything so I'm sorry if I refer to a technically named piece as the round or square dohickey
Step 1: Buy Beer
Step 2: Drink a Beer
Step 3: Use flat head screw driver or your small delicate prying tool of choice to GENTLY remove the top of the shifter. Pry at whichever space is most accessible but land rover for some reason recommends the front right.

Step 4: You will now see the inside of the shift knob looking like below. Remove the clip as depicted and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT LOSE IT!

Step 5: Remove the square piece with the rounded bottom over the shift button slide. like below then slide out the slide. Leave the spring on the other side of the slide in there is no need to remove it.

Step 6: using a deep socket or whatever you see fit remove the retaining nut at the bottom and slide the shifter off

Step 7: Gently pry up the surrounding trim piece with a screw driver like so

Step 8: Unscrew the low range shift knob and gently pull the wood back. DONT PULL IT UP AND TOTALLY OFF BECAUSE ALL OF YOUR SWITCHES ARE STILL ATTACHED!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Step 9: Drink another beer
Step 10: Remove the plugs from the back of the switches. You wont just pull they have little tabs to push down and then pull. I recommend either doing them on at a time and reconnecting them afterwards before going on to the next plug or labeling them somehow to keep them organized. Next simply give the switch a gentle tug and it will pop out the front. Note: the heated seat switches have a metal tab on the one side of them. It may be difficult to pull out and put the switch back in but do it carefully. If you dont this tab will fly off and in my case be lost into the abyss.

Step 11: Remove the four metal tabs on the bottom of the low range shift knob. You will want to be careful not to snap these and especially careful to not let them fly away. These things like to really pop off.

Step 12: Do whatever it is you needed to remove the wood for because you're done!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome and really helpful insights. Nice to see step by step approach to this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts