Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I have been pulling a repeated P306 code (with no associated codes) for about three months now. I had a new coil pack and new wires installed about a year ago.
I pulled the #6 plug, changed it, went about 2 weeks and got the code again. Pulled the #6 plug, changed it again, went about 2 weeks and got the code again. I cleaned the plug instead of replacing it, cleared the code, went about two weeks and I got the code again. I have repeated this process twice more. The plug looks normal and I tested the plug wire and it works.
The truck is sluggish most of the time, I'm getting poor mileage (worse than normal) and it just doesn't sound right.
Before I had the coil/wires replaced I had stupidly driven it a while with several cylinder misfires. After the coils/wires were replaced the truck operated fairly well until about 3 months ago. There is a significant rough vibration coming through the floorboard at the drivers feet.
Could I have destroyed the cats while driving with the misfires and that is the source of the roughness?
Does any one have any ideas?
Thanks!
Birdog

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Kind of sounds like a bad cat. But...
No other codes?
The repeated #6 fouling and code sort of sounds like a mechanical issue. How "hard"is the misfire.? Have you checked compression?
Could the noise/ vibration possibly engine related. I'm thinking maybe a rocker arm or pushrod?
Compression test would indicate it.
Engine vacuum reading and or an exhaust back pressure test could confirm the exhaust if it's not a root mechanical issue.
I would expect some O2 related codes to set as well.
You mention " 2 weeks" for the plug to foul. How may miles would you estimate in 2 weeks?
Another thought is a bad injector? Or injector seal?
Floorboard noise/ vibration always sends up "front driveshaft" concerns. How old is the front shaft

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I only get the P306 code. No others. It isn't driven much maybe 75-100 miles in those two weeks. Can;t really tell how hard the misfire is. Haven't done a compression test. The rocker is the original.
Any other thoughts?
Birdog

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
IMO that fault code points to injector 6 malfunction, measure at least the resistance of injector nr 6, acceptable value is 14.5 ± 0.7 ohms at 20 °C (68 °F), but the fact that the solenoid is OK doesnt rule out things just in case you get wrong reading you know for sure... , or swap it with another and if you get the code for that injector position you have the answer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.