Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my fuel pump and my 95 disco will still not start. It turns over with a jump start but will not run. I switched the relatys to see if the pump relay was bad but i here the pump run when i turn the key. Any ideas? Could it be that even with a jump the battery is still not able to turn it over? Any help appreciated

· Registered
138 Posts
You do hear your fuel pump run when you turn the key on? Does the fuel pump run for a time and then shut off, as it should? Does your engine turn overwhen you turn the key? Is your battery good, with clean connections? where are your fuel pump relays? My 96' has a relay box in the engine compartment & in the passenger kick-panel. I tried to change the relay(s) in the kick panel, but never could figure out which one was what! Good Luck, LRW :wave:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do here the pump run and it does shut off after a few seconds. I found the relays under the kick panels. Were are the relays in the engine bay? It does turn over and I think I will try a new battery but I did hook it up to a jump. Did your relays come from land rover or are they after market?

Thanks

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Don't hit the fuel filter, if you knock anything loose you could land up plugging and injector, you know what they cost??
Have you changed the fuel filter?
MIke J.

· Registered
138 Posts
Does it run yet. . . . I know the feeling. . . .I've got the green and the yellow relays that I bought from Rovers North, the silver Bosch relays from Atlantic British, a couple spare Hella relays, and a hand full of assorted relays I got at the salvage yard. I also have a different relay next to the washer fluid bottle. But if you are getting fuel pump to pump up and hold pressure when you turn you turn the key on, that probably isn't the problem. What kinds of sounds does it make as it builds pressure? Any "gurgling" noises? Good luck, LRW

· Registered
4,797 Posts
The relay for the fuel pump may be a special one and, it may be why your battery is dying.

Use the correct relay and you may have solved all of your problems in one fell swoop.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Hey Crowbar! Haven't heard from you whether you managed to get started. If not, try pressing the button on top of the fuel inertia switch in the engine bay. I'm assuming that the American discovery's are fitted with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.