Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was having trouble with my LF window; it would go down just fine but when I tried to put it up, it might go an inch or two and then stop and make a loud noise.

I replaced the window regulator per Rave to try to resolve (after removing old part I confirmed that one of the rollers was in fact completely disintegrated, so I thought this was the root cause).

However, now the issue still occurs, AND it occurs when the window is going down too, not just when I tried to put it up.

I can pull or push the window to "assist" it and it will eventually close or go all the way down.

Is there some other part I need to check on? Since the window will go up and down partially, the motor is working. But is this a sign I need a new motor too?

Also, rave states the following for the refit "Clean mating faces of regulator and motor". It does not mention anything about lubing or greasing the new regulator and motor. I did leave the grease that was already on the motor when I attached it to the new regulator.

Any thoughts? Do I need to grease something better? Do I need a new motor?

Here is a video of the window in action after the new regulator and the noise it makes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag4tp3qka07pyi3/noise.wmv?dl=0

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sounds like a worn gear.
Did you replace the entire regulator including the motor?
New part or used?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only replaced the regulator, with a new part from Atlantic British. Re-attached the same used motor that came with the truck.

The window still appears to be in the tracks/guides on each side of the door, so I don't think that is it. FYI, I found this item on Atlantic British, anyone know where it goes? Don't see anything about it in Rave, and I didn't see it anywhere in my door... maybe I am just missing it:

Window Regulator Glass Guide
Window Regulator Glass Guide - Land Rover door catches\window regulators from Atlantic British

I will probably just order a new motor soon and will report back if that fixes it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here is a video of just the old motor in action. It appears all the teeth on the gear are intact and the motor clearly works. Is that clicking sound when I reverse the motor a bad sign? Is the motor just weak?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lv27pyg62f7e7w/motor wmv.wmv?dl=0

I tried to put it back together with the new regulator like 10 times outside of the door and run it and it would still get stuck at certain points. I found that loosening some of the screws did make it better but I could never get it to fully work. Made sure to grease up everything really good and it would still get stuck.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Striped worm gear in the motor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.