Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked with my dealer in Annapolis about getting a replacement key fob. They said that they had back orders from Jan with no known delivery dates. Has anyone else experienced this, or know how to get a new one that can be programmed?

thanks
Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
I checked with my dealer in Annapolis about getting a replacement key fob. They said that they had back orders from Jan with no known delivery dates. Has anyone else experienced this, or know how to get a new one that can be programmed?

thanks
Dan
For my LR4, my dealer quoted me $750. LOL.

Instead I bought a few $50 fobs online on Amazon and programmed them with my IIDTool.

That particular URL leads to an LR2/LR4/RR key but I did another search for USA Remote LR3 and got this:

Not sure about the LR3 key - for the LR4, I had to order a separate physical key to fit inside the fob that was keyed to the VIN. That was about $125 through an indy dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
For my LR3 (and my RRS) I purchased Chinese keys from KeyCU on amazon for $22 each. First shop I found to cut the sidewinder blades charged me $35 per key. Second shop I found charged me $20 for two!!!

did require the use of my nanocomEVO to program them, which is a sunk cost of around $600, but at this point in my life that $600 has paid for itself tenfold. It saved me $1700 when I needed a new IPC.

any self respecting LR enthusiast should have a GAP tool or nanocom.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guess I’ll look into a gap tool or nanocom. I live on a boat so tough for me to do much work on the LR

·
Registered
26 Posts

thanks
Dan
I bought one for my LR3 on eBay for $15, had it cut at a local locksmith (Ace Hardware) (not Home Depot / Lowes, etc..) and programmed it myself.
very easy to do.

·
Registered
2006 Land Rover LR3
24 Posts
As others, I also purchased mine from Amazon, and cut at Hardware store and programmed at indy rover garage, I believe I paid about $100 total (key, cut, program) for two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My local Ace hardware charged me $5 to cut a key. The dealer was charging more than the GAP tool + aftermarket key together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought mine off abran (not sure if he is a member here too) a couple years back.. he programmed a fob to my truck and had me go to a locksmith near his shop (Huntington Beach, CA) for about 40 bucks i think...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has taken me a while to try and sort out my key fob problem and just when I thought I was going to get it done I came up just short. I ordered two replacement fobs and had them cut. i got them programmed so they both would start the car. Unfortunately neither would lock or unlock the doors. The locksmith had a tool that indicated the 2 new keys and even the two old keys were sending a signal when the open and close buttons were pushed. There were no codes showing key related issues on the programming tool, and the programing indications were normal according to the locksmith. Could this be an issue with the receiver in the car? The auto lock and unlock buttons on the dash work normally.

thanks Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
If the original key is also not working it could be the wiring. This may help:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. This seems like the most likely problem for me. I did have the sunroof drain clog issue at about the same time as the key fobs not working. I’ll let you know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Carb0nation. Finally all is working well. Overall 2 new fobs, cut and programmed, and the wiring fix was just under 400 bucks. Keeping as a daily driver at 193K miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts