Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if anyone knew a solution to a lost key scenario. I still have 1 active key, no problem, but feel I should get he lost key replaced. ULR Malvern have quoted $1773.54 to replace and reprogram the key.

I am having trouble getting my head around that.

Do I have any other options?

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
82 Posts
From my experience, it's dealer or nothing, so personally, I wouldn't bother replacing it. I have found that I always end up using just one key, and the other sits in a drawer for years. If you also do this, it would be like throwing your $1773.54 into a drawer. I bought a used Volvo 5 years ago that only came with 1 key, and there hasn't been a single time that I wish I had another. Just make sure you have the key with you before you lock the car.
Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
Land Rover Defender 90 Extreme 2.5L
6 Posts
If you could somehow find someone to handle the programming part, there are a lot of cheap spare keys on Amazon but I am not sure how reliable they are.
Have you tried getting quotes from other websites like this or anywhere else?
$1773 seems like a lot for a spare key to me tbh...

·
very disco
1,519 Posts
I use $22 china keys from amazon. The expensive part is the programming equipment.

if you buy in, it’ll still be less than half that quote, plus you’ll be able to program many keys at will.

·
Ruffy
1 Posts
Hi,
This is a solution for LR3. It involves using a Chinese import to source programmable fob, which comes with a blank uncut key.
1. Find a locksmith to duplicate your existing metal key part.
2. Use an OBDSTAR Ford/Mazda fob programmer, which programs LR3 fobs. (check Ebay for prices)
3. Follow simple on-screen instructions on the gadget. Works every time for LR3 and perhaps later models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
This is a solution for LR3. It involves using a Chinese import to source programmable fob, which comes with a blank uncut key.
1. Find a locksmith to duplicate your existing metal key part.
2. Use an OBDSTAR Ford/Mazda fob programmer, which programs LR3 fobs. (check Ebay for prices)
3. Follow simple on-screen instructions on the gadget. Works every time for LR3 and perhaps later models.
I always wondered if locksmiths can make another copy of the key to gain access to your car.
It is a massive concern for me as older models are easier to steal and bothers me to no end.

Is it possible to steal the whole car with just the metal key? I have no idea and would like to know.

·
very disco
1,519 Posts
If you can drive your car with a metal key, anybody can steal your car with a metal key.

that’s why aftermarket alarms with starter interrupt were so popular before manufacturers started implementing security systems

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmm good to know, I guess I will go and buy some tracker or alarm, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an older LR model but I have made some recent upgrades and improvements. That is why I spent the whole day researching about trackers. I have decided on Insurance Approved GPS Trackers due to the price and tons of positive reviews. While I don't want to spend too much on security alone, I don't want to look for my LR during a pandemic. Theft is common in my area and a couple of LR/RRs were nicked in my neighbourhood.
I checked other brands like Tracker etc. but they are way too expensive for me.

ReverendALC or anyone, do you have any experience with insurance trackers? The ones I linked seem really good against theft and rather cheap compared to other brands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts