Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about replacement parts: where can I save money vs where it’s worth spending extra. I have a 1996 disco 1 SD v8. As I’ve described in other posts, I don’t care about cosmetics, I want it to be functional, street legal and trail capable. That being said, my philosophy will be to upgrade where it matters, when I need to fix something (and only when it makes sense).

For the first example, it seems the starter just went bad. I haven’t gotten under the layers of clay and crud from the previous owners abuse to test the circuit yet. But I get one loud click when I turn the key, and that’s it. I suspect it will need replacement. Can anyone tell me, are all starters equal? Where is my money best spent: refmanufactered, new, eBay? Denso vs Bosch vs off brands? Price range seems to be $70-$400! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I was just wondering about replacement parts: where can I save money vs where it’s worth spending extra. I have a 1996 disco 1 SD v8. As I’ve described in other posts, I don’t care about cosmetics, I want it to be functional, street legal and trail capable. That being said, my philosophy will be to upgrade where it matters, when I need to fix something (and only when it makes sense).

For the first example, it seems the starter just went bad. I haven’t gotten under the layers of clay and crud from the previous owners abuse to test the circuit yet. But I get one loud click when I turn the key, and that’s it. I suspect it will need replacement. Can anyone tell me, are all starters equal? Where is my money best spent: refmanufactered, new, eBay? Denso vs Bosch vs off brands? Price range seems to be $70-$400! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
It's your truck; what do you feel comfortable putting on it? Personally, I asked myself the same question and came to the conclusion - If it touches the road or is responsible for the stopping of the vehicle, and will help ensure I go out and make it back alive, I will go all out and pay top dollar for good quality parts. Things I can do without if need be, I will often pick up used from Paul Grant or pick up locally from a scrapper, if I can't wait a few days for Paul to get it to me.

On the Starter, I have not had to replace my factory Starter yet, but when I do, I plan to put in the UK BritPart on that one. It's only $155 on BritishPartsofUtah. Otherwise, I'd trust Denso and Bosch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts