Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what all parts I need to replace for an aging suspension on an 2001 DII with 140K miles. What are they?

I know that my ball joints and other bushings are going out. The steering on my truck is unstable, there's too much play in the steering wheel, so it's beyond just a bad (failed) steering damper.

I may also need an alignment as my tires are showing an uneven wear towards to the inner walls.

Thanks.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Wheel
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Auto part Tire

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Call me this afternoon and I'll go thru the list for you.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
1. Shocks/springs/Steering Damper - Might as well go aftermarket since the parts are tougher and cheaper. I use Terrafirma and would recommend it.
2. 4 Ball Joints - Two per side (not an easy job)
3. Track Rod/End Link - I recommend replacing both complete units rather than just the joints on the end. Pretty cheap and easy.
4. *POTENTIALLY* Replacement Steering Box - If your steering is loose oftentimes the steering box is at fault. The gears inside wear and cause loose steering. Occasionally you can tighten them up a bit (worked for me) with the adjustment nut, but go a half-turn too far and you'll ruin the box. If you do need a new one, avoid reman. units as they are notoriously unreliable.

That empty bolt hole on the passenger side knuckle is where the drag link would connect on a RHD car - it's supposed to be disconnected on LHD.

The only tough aspect of the job are the 4 ball joints. You have to pull the brake assembly, the knuckle, and get creative with removing them. You'll need a press/puller which you can rent for free at Autozone/Advance. Our bushings typically hold up pretty well, but get a pry bar on them and see if you can't notice some play. Replace as required.

Don't bother doing alignment until you get everything replaced as each new part could have an impact on the steering geometry. Budget ~ $1,000 for everything. Shocks/Springs/Damper will run about $500 for the TF units. Track/Drag are around $280. Ball joints are $100. The rest is taken up by shipping and incidentals. Factor in another $800 or so if your steering box is past servicing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Shocks/springs/Steering Damper - Might as well go aftermarket since the parts are tougher and cheaper. I use Terrafirma and would recommend it.
2. 4 Ball Joints - Two per side (not an easy job)
3. Track Rod/End Link - I recommend replacing both complete units rather than just the joints on the end. Pretty cheap and easy.
4. *POTENTIALLY* Replacement Steering Box - If your steering is loose oftentimes the steering box is at fault. The gears inside wear and cause loose steering. Occasionally you can tighten them up a bit (worked for me) with the adjustment nut, but go a half-turn too far and you'll ruin the box. If you do need a new one, avoid reman. units as they are notoriously unreliable.

That empty bolt hole on the passenger side knuckle is where the drag link would connect on a RHD car - it's supposed to be disconnected on LHD.

The only tough aspect of the job are the 4 ball joints. You have to pull the brake assembly, the knuckle, and get creative with removing them. You'll need a press/puller which you can rent for free at Autozone/Advance. Our bushings typically hold up pretty well, but get a pry bar on them and see if you can't notice some play. Replace as required.

Don't bother doing alignment until you get everything replaced as each new part could have an impact on the steering geometry. Budget ~ $1,000 for everything. Shocks/Springs/Damper will run about $500 for the TF units. Track/Drag are around $280. Ball joints are $100. The rest is taken up by shipping and incidentals. Factor in another $800 or so if your steering box is past servicing.
Thanks Bosnian for the detailed response. I knew about the drag link and track rod and even the springs, shocks, and damper, but not the steering box. I'll give it a slight adjustment here shortly, but those other parts definitely need to be replaced. Alignment won't come until last.

Did you see the pic where the rubber boot is coming apart at the wheel hub? How do I replace that?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Did you see the pic where the rubber boot is coming apart at the wheel hub? How do I replace that?">

That's the lower ball joint and replacing it will look like this...

Ball joint Removal/replacement:photos

Not always fun, but not the hardest job.
It's called the ball joint? I thought Land Rover (counterintuitively) called tie rods "ball joints" for some reason.

So, I'm basically replacing the drag link and track rod AND these ball joints, correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.