Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the starter on my 1995 Disco I (my local shop, Emile's on Portola Ave. in Santa Cruz, quoted me $700.00 USD parts and labor).

My question is how does one get to the #8 Allen bolt on the top? I've taken out the bottom bolt but the top one is almost impossible to get to. Is there a trick I'm overlooking?

Most of all I want to know if I'm in for any surprises when I do get it off. Anything (even encouragement) will help. Thanks, Beau

·
Registered
39 Posts
The trick is: take the TOP bolt out FIRST! Jack the front off the ground, pull the RHF tire, and work thru the wheelwell; there's JUST enough room to get a ratchet with an extension in there & break it loose. Once you have the hard one out, you can easily get the second one (bottom) out while supporting the starter by hand from below. Then disconnect the wires.

·
Registered
139 Posts
nice little Bosch starter at Rover's North

for $158... much better than the old OEM crap. will fit on your Rover.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve83 said:
The trick is: take the TOP bolt out FIRST! Jack the front off the ground, pull the RHF tire, and work thru the wheelwell; there's JUST enough room to get a ratchet with an extension in there & break it loose. Once you have the hard one out, you can easily get the second one (bottom) out while supporting the starter by hand from below. Then disconnect the wires.
Sweet. I've been trying to get at it from between the header and just don't have enough room to break it loose. Thanks for the tip, I'll use it tomorrow.

As for the starter, I've already purchased one from Atlantic British, had I known about the Bosch I would have done that instead. Oh well, thanks though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Getting at the allen bolts

What I do when getting these starter allen bolts out is to use the allen / socket bit and pile on loads of extension bars so it comes right out the front where you can get a nice big breaker bar on the end. That goes for that nasty little top bolt too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
loadsalandys said:
What I do when getting these starter allen bolts out is to use the allen / socket bit and pile on loads of extension bars so it comes right out the front where you can get a nice big breaker bar on the end. That goes for that nasty little top bolt too.
Exactly. I used a rotating-head 3/8 socket wrench and a 3in. extention. The new Bosch starter from A.B. works great.

I wonder what be the next challenge?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts