Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Could be a few things did it overheat? Any signs of a coolant leak? Anything look odd with the engine oil (milky and or above full)? Warning lights? Fault codes?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Redtruck is on the right track. Not sure if our Discos would be any different, but in other vehicles when you see bubbling coolant in the reservoir, that's a sign of air getting pulled into the cooling system, i.e. a blown head gasket.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Start with the basics. Could be a simple problem and not catastrophic failure such as a head gasket.
Let us know what you see .... or have your wife let us know what is going on ha ha ha.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Keep an eye on it. Why did it push coolant out the overflow? Overheated? Overfilled? Any other leak?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Buy a new reservoir cap if you don't know the cap's age. Get a genuine one. If the cap cannot keep pressure, coolant boils at a lower temperature. I also found the AC condenser fan was turning on when it should not. The cap I replaced was coming apart at the bottom. An test kit for exhaust gases in the coolant is good to have also.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Buy a new reservoir cap if you don't know the cap's age. Get a genuine one. If the cap cannot keep pressure, coolant boils at a lower temperature. I also found the AC condenser fan was turning on when it should not. The cap I replaced was coming apart at the bottom. An test kit for exhaust gases in the coolant is good to have also.
yes its the original but its coming out of the overfill hose, that is the problem and no , there is no overheating i am thinking its got to be the thermostat, will be bringing it to the mechanic tomorrow

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
The cap has a spring in it with a rubber seal at the bottom of it. The overflow tube flows out of the sealing surface flange. You can see it on your illustration posted above. If the cap is bad the drop in pressure causes the coolant to boil over. Low pressure causes water to boil at a lower rate. At higher pressures its hard to boil water. Like trying to boil water on a mountain. I think every drop of 1 psi reduces the boiling point 10 degrees. Rule of thumb generally speaking. It would be weird not to buy a cap for a few dollars and stubbornly insist on spending money at a mechanic. Especially when everybody's telling you it could be the cap...and you say yeah the cap could be bad but im gonna do something else....no pun intended. Its worth a try.

Also if everything coolant related has never been worked on. You should change every piece on it. Generally speaking. If you look around you can find everything fairly cheap. PTSchram is good also bputah for good browsing. Parts googling and cross checking part numbers is a good trick. Also read this and do it.

The part number is PEL500110

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57041

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well finally had a chance to look at antifreeze leaking problem, looked and seen it was actually coming out of cap, the wife recently had the oil changed and i guess the mechanic added antifreeze or something, after i tightened cap fully, problem solved thanks for your help, glad it wasn't anything major, quick fix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.