Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought an accident free 2004 Disco in my favorite color, Giverny Green for very little money. The truck is rust free and in great shape with a clean title. The only problem is that it's missing a motor/tranny. I've found some junked ones which I can use as donors but I don't know if my original engine came with secondary air injection. Is there a way to find out if it's missing the motor? The 7th digit of the VIN is a 9 if that helps. If mine did come with secondary a.i. would everything function properly if I installed one that isn't a secondary a.i. motor or vice versa? I'd love to keep it with an original LR engine/tranny. Thanks in advance.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Car
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Car
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood

·
very disco
3,025 Posts
I love seeing them get fixed up instead of parted out, especially an 04. I’ve never seen an 04 without SAI, but anything is possible.
A good LR vin decoder should be able to identify the exact engine, but it won’t be one of those generic VIN decoders.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love seeing them get fixed up instead of parted out, especially an 04. I’ve never seen an 04 without SAI, but anything is possible.
A good LR vin decoder should be able to identify the exact engine, but it won’t be one of those generic VIN decoders.
I love to see these restored as well that's why the donor truck has to be really wrecked otherwise I'd want to restore it as well! Lol
I've tried decoding vin but I just get the normal:
4.6L 4554CC 278Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
4.6 Petrol HC V8 EFi

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
751 Posts
I can see the SAI pump in the engine bay picture - it definitely had SAI. You are going to need an SAI engine (or at least engine with SAI heads) so the computer doesn't throw a fit. I deleted SAI on mine and have quite a few codes and a CEL. Functionally it's the same, but if you need to pass emissions you're gonna need it.
Good luck on the project! Good to see another D2 get saved, especially an '04

·
Bleeds Green
191 Posts
As V50 said - yes, the SAI pump is on the left side of the engine bay pic so you'll need an SAI engine, which should be all you can find here in the States. You can do an SAI delete if you can find a non-SAI ECU and heads (usually from overseas, if I remember correctly) but you won't pass emissions if your state requires it.

One big risk you take in purchasing a used 4.6L is that you won't know if any liners are slipped. You'd have to break it open to maybe see if one is. I'm not sure where you live but I see American cars in the background and palm trees. If, by chance, you're in California, there's a company in LA (I think) that can install top hat cylinder liners. I'd also recommend a new camshaft (they are known to wear out over time), oil pump, head gaskets, oil pan gasket, intake gasket, etc. Check this forum for other things that should be replaced. These are known failures on these engines so it'd be best to take care of it while the engine is out and easy to work on. Also, it's not super common but it does happen; check the potential replacement engine to see if it's been "pinned". Pinning is when someone drills small holes in the block to install small screws through the block and cylinder liners. It's a hack way of fixing a slipped liner and doesn't solve coolant leakage, it just stops the noise of a slipping liner. If it's been pinned, it's not economical to repair the holes. You can't leave the holes after fixing the liners because that's where all the oil will come out. I wish I didn't know this from experience... I bought an 04 Disco that the previous fool of an owner pinned in his garage but didn't do it properly and three of the pins fell out. Bad noises and a massive oil leak ensued. I'm currently finishing up an L33 swap because of it.

Clean the engine bay, put rust inhibitor on all the rusty spots you see and then paint the spots. Check if the steering box feels like it has a lot of play in it because replacing them when the engine is installed is a pain. Don't confuse play in the steering linkage for play in the box.

From the pic, you also need a new front driveshaft (unless it's inside the vehicle). There are two options; serviceable and non-serviceable. If you're ok with greasing the front driveshaft every 6k miles and won't forget, that'd be a great option. If not, a non-serviceable one is just fine and it should last 150k+ miles.

You're in for a bunch of work - keep us updated! There are lots of really smart folks here who can answer any question you may have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As V50 said - yes, the SAI pump is on the left side of the engine bay pic so you'll need an SAI engine, which should be all you can find here in the States. You can do an SAI delete if you can find a non-SAI ECU and heads (usually from overseas, if I remember correctly) but you won't pass emissions if your state requires it.

One big risk you take in purchasing a used 4.6L is that you won't know if any liners are slipped. You'd have to break it open to maybe see if one is. I'm not sure where you live but I see American cars in the background and palm trees. If, by chance, you're in California, there's a company in LA (I think) that can install top hat cylinder liners. I'd also recommend a new camshaft (they are known to wear out over time), oil pump, head gaskets, oil pan gasket, intake gasket, etc. Check this forum for other things that should be replaced. These are known failures on these engines so it'd be best to take care of it while the engine is out and easy to work on. Also, it's not super common but it does happen; check the potential replacement engine to see if it's been "pinned". Pinning is when someone drills small holes in the block to install small screws through the block and cylinder liners. It's a hack way of fixing a slipped liner and doesn't solve coolant leakage, it just stops the noise of a slipping liner. If it's been pinned, it's not economical to repair the holes. You can't leave the holes after fixing the liners because that's where all the oil will come out. I wish I didn't know this from experience... I bought an 04 Disco that the previous fool of an owner pinned in his garage but didn't do it properly and three of the pins fell out. Bad noises and a massive oil leak ensued. I'm currently finishing up an L33 swap because of it.

Clean the engine bay, put rust inhibitor on all the rusty spots you see and then paint the spots. Check if the steering box feels like it has a lot of play in it because replacing them when the engine is installed is a pain. Don't confuse play in the steering linkage for play in the box.

From the pic, you also need a new front driveshaft (unless it's inside the vehicle). There are two options; serviceable and non-serviceable. If you're ok with greasing the front driveshaft every 6k miles and won't forget, that'd be a great option. If not, a non-serviceable one is just fine and it should last 150k+ miles.

You're in for a bunch of work - keep us updated! There are lots of really smart folks here who can answer any question you may have.
Thank you for all the great and priceless information, I live in Texas and the drive shaft is inside the vehicle. Once I have the donor on my hands I'll post updates and will be on the lookout for what you suggested. Thanks again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
First, I commend you for diving into this project to resurrect this truck. I may have the skills (or could learn them), but I don't have the time or the facilities.

To make this a non-SAI truck, you're going to need a non-SAI ECM, plus a set of non-SAI heads. Otherwise the ECM will throw SAI codes.

Good luck!

Reactions: huichoval

·
Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
484 Posts
I'm parting out my 01 SE7. I'll have a full 4.0 powertrain setup I'm gonna sell. Planning to keep the powertrain intact to sell with the ECM.

PM me if you wanna talk about it.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
751 Posts
I'm parting out my 01 SE7. I'll have a full 4.0 powertrain setup I'm gonna sell. Planning to keep the powertrain intact to sell with the ECM.

PM me if you wanna talk about it.
What happened to it?

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
751 Posts
Spun a bearing. She's got 150k on her. Needs a rebuild. I would have done the work but frame rot and rust coming through the shell finalized my decision to scrap.
That’s a bummer. Sometimes that’s just the way it goes though

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
751 Posts
Yes. Coming to the conclusion she was parts was one of the most difficult. If it weren't for that Midwest rust...
Yeah sometimes that’s just what happens. It sucks, but D2 parts are expensive so you’ll likely get a good bit of your money back. I’m convinced the only reason my truck isn’t super rusty is because basically every engine seal was leaking when I got it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts