Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LR3 SE V6 w/Coils & 2008 LR3 SE V8 on 33’s
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s see your creative headliner. Show me something cool.

I have removed the headliner in my 2008 LR3 to find the source of a roof leak and since it was sagging I will be reupholstering it. At the very least I will do black Alcântara, However I’m seriously considering spicing things up a bit and doing some sort of a pattern fabric, maybe a black, gray, and red tartan plaid. The contours of the headliner it will of course be a major challenge, but one my upholstery shop is up for. I’ll cover and or paint all the bits above the belt black or dark grey to coordinate with the fabric chosen.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car Hood Motor vehicle

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
I’m not sure what would go well with the beige. I did my D2 in all black (headliner, plastics, etc) and it’s the best thing ever.
Plant Automotive mirror Carnivore Dog breed Vehicle

That’s the only pic I could find lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not sure what would go well with the beige. I did my D2 in all black (headliner, plastics, etc) and it’s the best thing ever.
View attachment 93850
That’s the only pic I could find lol
Nice! My long term plan is to change the carpet, door cards and dash components that are alpaca to all black or almost black. Then the seats recovered in a charcoal/brown saddle leather like the king ranch fords have, but more grey than that brown. I plan to use the tartan (maybe from the headliner?) in lumbar sections of seats and contrasted piping like the RR’s have. The exterior is currently Stornoway Grey, but I plan to Kevlar coat it slightly darker grey next year. I’ll pick that color and the warmth of it based on what I pick for interior. Going for a more military/rugged take on classic Holland and Holland/Ralf Lauren, however the surfaces must perform well in Overland and off road environment. I’ll likely have the canvas seat covers up front when on the trails.
I’m leaning towards a 16” wide strip or panel of the tartan on the headliner down the center… Stitched in and tacked with leather strips/ baseball stitching that matches the new seats. Just really need to decide if all of that is this rig/build. With 226k miles on original drivetrain, that path laid out above would mean I’m willing to put new engine and tranny in this rig at some point and this is a lifetime rig for me. And if that, is this my off road rig too or does this pull the beater to the trails and back. So many decisions.

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
I did that in my LR3, I pulled my alpaca interior and subbed a black interior. it was a real effing chore

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
415 Posts
I’ve done my fair share of fun pattern headliners. Did my D2 originally in black and white houndstooth, and then it had to come out again bc the sunroofs were leaking so I went to a plaid pattern. Also did the door panels to match. Also did a plaid in my Volvo with a matching shift boot.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Automotive exterior

Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive exterior Window

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Mirror Automotive mirror

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Those all look amazing, the plaid especially!

Talk to me about the contours and the fabric on the D2, did you create pleats or gussets or just stretch the fabric to force it to fit? The LR3 is complicated in similar ways, but a bit greater depth if the recesses and concave radius corners… I may do a woven wool tartan from Scotland, and it will not likely have much stretch to it. Considering a leather banding/strapping to cover seams if I need to cut/stitch some of those trouble areas. I’d rather not have pleats or ruching as they just catch dust on the trails.

Clothing Tartan Light Black Textile

Clothing Tartan Light Black Textile

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
415 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

Those all look amazing, the plaid especially!

Talk to me about the contours and the fabric on the D2, did you create pleats or gussets or just stretch the fabric to force it to fit? The LR3 is complicated in similar ways, but a bit greater depth if the recesses and concave radius corners… I may do a woven wool tartan from Scotland, and it will not likely have much stretch to it. Considering a leather banding/strapping to cover seams if I need to cut/stitch some of those trouble areas. I’d rather not have pleats or ruching as they just catch dust on the trails.

View attachment 93858
View attachment 93858
Thanks! You’re gonna want an upholstery fabric that’s as stretchy as you can find. The fabric in the Volvo was good, and it’s still held up nicely after 3 years. The first stuff in the Disco was a woven wool - totally wrong for the application, and while it stretched nicely, the glue didn’t really adhere very well. The plaid in the D2 is a little better, but it was an outdoor fabric, which didn’t stretch very well, so I ended up with some wrinkles and some parts that didn’t want to sit down properly. Also, apparently waterproof also means glue proof, as it is also starting to fall down at this point. So get a regular upholstery fabric that’s stretchy. Also try to find something wide enough so you don’t need a seam down the middle. I just pushed and stretched it into place. I was trying to avoid cutting it, since it’ll be really hard to line up a pattern, and it doesn’t look great if you have seams everywhere. It’ll also want to fall down more like that.

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
Correct. I bought foam backed headliner material and it was rather stretchy. No pleats or anything like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Headliner fabrics are the best choice for your application they strech nicely and glue sticks well. Many choices are available more then most imagine. Also look into marine boating headline fabric. Endless high-end possibilities. Good hunting.

·
Registered
2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8
63 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking forward to your updates PatriotLandyTX. I've always loved that rich brown King Ranch style leather. I'm considering whether to go all in on my current 08 LR3 with 160k miles, with new carpet/leather/headliner etc myself.... Keep us posted!

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
back in the day I had a king ranch F350, and that leather was base as hell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Uh, does that mean good or bad? Seriously, I really don't know :)
I have noticed used King Ranches often look like the leather wasn't conditioned or maintained properly by their owners so it looks kind of dried out.

back in the day I had a king ranch F350, and that leather was base as hell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dried out leather can be brought back to life. I worked a ranch in Colorado years ago and with elbow grease brought 60 year old saddles back to looking new. Ripped leather cant be repaird without it being noticeable.

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
@TracyC hahah. base as hell is good, if I understand my children correctly

suffice it to say, I loved that leather.

·
Administrator
2,369 Posts
Ya Rev
I used to be “cool “too🤣

·
very disco
2,883 Posts
Lol. Bussin’

1 - 19 of 19 Posts