Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

This problem has only cropped recently, and does not happen all the time.

When I have engaged reverse, we move backwards, as what is supposed to do, however if I try and select another gear, the gear lever wont per budge. If I switch her off, then the gear lever slides out like a hot knife through butter!

Is this a clutch problem? If so how long does it take to fit one?

Regards

Jayce

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
It happens when you do 110 km/h !!!

I dont know if it is clutch only. Does it (Clutch) shudder during pull away? Do you have any othe G-Box related problems? If so it might be the Clutch.

Replacing took me about one day. Dont try to take shortcuts, do it as the book prescribes, thinking out your own shortcuts only wast time because you have to do it as the book say in the end in any case.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engaging

Hi Moeras, it looks like your a bit envious about my top end speed! :D , I must admit that I have been able to hit 120, going downhill, whilst towing a volvo 122s

Anyway, there is no shudder in the clutch on pull off, however it does feel like it takes very low, and when it does take it feels like it clunks into place. The clunking noise (universal word to describe most of the noises I hear in my landrover) is more pronounced when in reverse, and as often happens in reverse while riding the clutch. Sometimes, getting into first can take one or two tries on occassion. but all other gear changes are great. My gbox was reconditioned 8 months ago anyway.

Before I changed the timing chain this was more pronounced.

So maybe it is the clutch, I hope this helps in the diagnosis of my problem.

Regards

· Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
I once got 130 with my Landy!!! (I was towing it with my Isuzu)

I can get about 60 miles/h Which is what about 90Km/h?

The clutch engaging with a sudden grab and not a gradual motion is a sign of something wrong.
If you replace the clutch try to also replace/ recon the slave cylinder on the clutch.

Do you smell anyting (From the clutch burning i mean)?

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
and

Moeras said:
I once got 130 with my Landy!!! (I was towing it with my Isuzu)

I can get about 60 miles/h Which is what about 90Km/h?

The clutch engaging with a sudden grab and not a gradual motion is a sign of something wrong.
If you replace the clutch try to also replace/ recon the slave cylinder on the clutch.

Do you smell anyting (From the clutch burning i mean)?

i would fit the new master/slave cylinders first if that doesnt work look down the path of a new clutch,when you do check the actuator fork isnt bent sounds like its just the clutch not disengaging fully so swap the cylinders first also swap the rubber hose to a this can cause problems too.
ONz

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checking master cylinders first.....

I thought that I might add further diagnostics to this. Oddly enough, when it is a fairly cool morning, the engagement of gears is not as smooth. With lower tempretures the viscosity of the clutch fluid should change, so maybe I am going to strike a luck and not have to replace the clutch....

Further more, in contradiction to an early post of mine, the engagement of the clutch is not low at all. It happens quite high up.

what do you think?

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.