Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
I recently got my series 3 landie going the other week. ( I purchased it as an unfinished project) and I am having issues with reverse gear. Whenever I am reversing up any sort of incline, it keeps jumping out. Would it be the spring thingsd that "lawnmower" has on his gear box? All the other gears seem fine, although when I was coming down the toowoomba range (QLD Aust) I was using 2nd gear and it jumped out of that twice. The vehicle had been sitting for approximately 5 years and was a one owner and isn'e ment to have even done 100,000kms. Any other ideas?
the cross member in the chassis below the gearbox is removable too, so ifneed be I could take the gear box out easily, howevr I don't really want to spent too much yet.
If it is those springs, what the best way to replace them.
Thanks for all your help,
Dick :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
If it has been sitting for a long time I would replace the springs in the gearbox I know that the one for the reverse sits in the top you just have to yake out the centre floor section pretty simple so I have been told

Adam :beer:

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you hold it in gear, does it still try and pop out, or kick viciously, or stay put without a fight?

Good luck with it, tell us how it goes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah it doesn't kick, it stays in when I hold it, but it does seem to be a very noisy gear. I have been told this is normal for the landies. Is this right?
Also, it has a feiry(or somesuch) Overdrive. In general, overdrives aren't as strong as the actual gears. Is this the case for this overdrive? Can I just put it in overdrive and drive it just the same or is it bad for the box.

Thanks,

Dick

·
Registered
125 Posts
Reverse gear uses a separate idler which engages on the 2nd gear main gears. The obvious conclusion is that there is a significant problem with your 2nd gears. Time to get stripped down and oiled up.

It's a scary proposition to a novice, but once you start, you'll find few dificulties (technically). Just expect rusted bolts holding the floor in.

Get a Haynes manual - it's pretty good on this topic. You can remove the gear box without a crane if you drain down the tx box, remove its insection plates and separate from the main box in accordance with the Haynes manual (the individual assys are heavy but manageable ths way).

LEGS sell all the bits you'll need, including an overhaul kit that includes all the brgs, seals bushes and gaskets, plus some synchro parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I suspected it may have been something morer serious than the spring. I will have to do the box a bit later.
Cheers,
Fox

1 - 8 of 8 Posts