Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the evening shampoo'n the carpet (barely getting it clean). Then the thought came over me... why not remove the carpet and lay down Rhino spray in liner instead.... hmmm

Anyone else go this far to avoid dirty carpets?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yep, first thing I do when I buy a Rover is remove the carpets and the foam. I just got a gallon of Herculiner this week and plan to paint the floor on my 95 D1 this weekend.

I got a quote of $850 to Rhino Line it so I decided for the do-it-yourself herculiner. BTW, the quote was just for painting not preping the truck.

I prefer the noise and not the rust. I'm also planning on a new stereo system with waterproof speakers. And with headers and a flowmaster I really don't mind the noise.

FYI, I just finished painting the headliner instead of re-upholstering it, it came out real nice!! I used white garage floor paint, nice and thick, easy to remove mud or stains. I haven't installed the headliner yet because I'm doing some wiring...

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I removed my carpets and padding I did not notice any change in noise but it is considerably hotter inside now. I plan on applying a coat of POR 15 to the floors for protection from rust.

·
MG
771 Posts
Given the frequent spills, everpresent dust and mud, and the occasional accidental "discharge" from my two boys, the carpet in the rear area is getting just downright nasty (some of you may recall that I've got their boosters installed in the jump seats).

I've got the option of rhino line, but wanted to know if anyone has gone this route, any pictures?

John C, how did the herculiner turn out?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
me.guevara said:
Given the frequent spills, everpresent dust and mud, and the occasional accidental "discharge" from my two boys, the carpet in the rear area is getting just downright nasty (some of you may recall that I've got their boosters installed in the jump seats).

I've got the option of rhino line, but wanted to know if anyone has gone this route, any pictures?

Cheers,
My buddies did it to 3 RRC's now, the smell is there for about a month or so, they haven't noticed a big increase in noise and they absoulutely love it... One idea that I had.... If you live i a cold climate keep your carpet and make some snaps or clips to hold the carpet and foam in... This way you can wheel problem free all summer, etc.. and still keep your family warm during those cold days.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
me.guevara said:

Cheers,
Worked out great. The smell went away after a week and it's hard as nail. Did cut back a bit on noise but I really don't mind since I don't have a resonator in the rear.

I have some pics somewhere, I'll post them when I find them.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I used one gallon of the white Herculiner and was able to apply two coats to the inside of the Disco. Next summer I'll apply another two coats.

Here are the pics:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
rhino lining has one major flaw. Nothing slides. Nothing.

That means if you put something at the front of the bed and you need to get it you are going to have to get in and crawl up to it.

My dads got a small chevy truck with rhinolining and a cap.

but it does keep rust down and does quite well. NOt a bad idea to rhino line the back and the sides where they rust.

Then put the carpet back on.

·
MG
771 Posts
Thanks John C! It looks like it came out quite well. Very utilitarian. Did you keep the carpet or did you chuck it?

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the rhino lining in the back - eventually, based on the performance of the first phase, do the entire floor like you did and just keep mats.

I'll talk to the techs who install this stuff to see how to deal with the fuel access cover. The other various and sundry holes I'll probably have rubber gromits fitted. I'm still undecided about laying the carpet back over the liner.

I'll see how it turns out - it'll probably be a couple weeks before I do it, but as soon as I do, I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
In the front I have the black rubber LR mats with some heat protection stuck to the mat. In the mid section I have the original carpet with the foam and the black rubber mats on top (they can easily be removed). In the cargo area I don'have anything since I have a home made tray along with a pull out Pelican case so my tools don't get wet. The Pelican case is on IBM Server rails (which can hold 125 lbs). I also have the 5 gal air tank with the Quick air 2 compressor in the cargo area.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
have them seal the fuel cover and make sure you get new screws. trust me you might have to cut the screws out. If they are still good keep them in and then replace them when you get it back. And pry up on the cover when your done.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.