Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Richie marine compass in my Jeep - the circular air vent is the perfect size, and it is very simple to buy an extra vent housing and mount it. Yes, it does read 10 degrees off, but there are models that provide for adjusting it. I did not do that in my Disco, what with its square vent.

I'm just a bystander outside of whatever you all have going on between you, but the knee-jerk reaction and lack of imagination is off-putting.

• When my father sent me to sea at 15, I interned night watch with the captain and learned to navigate using the stars, as sextant, and a map
  • I'm an orienteering instructor - that would be a compass and a flat map
  • I'm a wilderness survival instructor - that battery in your device will become a fire starter - and we like to practice things the hard way.
  • When my son, dad, aunt and I caravan into the Nevada desert, where our family has been since the gold rush, we take old photos of points of interest from the late 1800s, random geographic clues - '30 miles south of Mason, NV', flat maps and compasses (and lots of spares for the rovers and jeeps)
Think pre-WWII Royal Geographic Society in N. Africa...

Why should I, or all those Scouts, soldiers, etc, learn how to navigate using the hands of a watch, or tracking the shadow cast by a stick over enough time? According to a number on this forum, we shouldn't. When your technology dies, good luck. And I'm not talking about a cell signal.

Used to be a Rover owner was someone who knew it was the journey, not the destination, that was the purpose of driving one.

I don't know, or care, what the problem is here, but your WLA-derangement syndrome prejudices you against fun, and perfectly valid modifications, and you rob your fellow forum members access to diversity of ideas and perspectives.

Forum Moderators - Rather than locking the thread, why don't you lockout out those who have nothing nice to say at all. You are moderators, right? Why do I have to start a new topic on this? Sad.

Dave

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
Hi Dave,

I may not be able to speak for all, but I think you’re not seeing the forest for the trees here.

there’s a LOT more to that thread than your face value takeaway.

·
Drives like an old man
398 Posts
Yep, you've missed the point entirely. Any Boy Scout can navigate using the stars, hands on an analog watch or by the shadow a stick stuck in the ground provides.

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Should we refer to you as “WLA- Dave”?

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
Should we refer to you as “WLA- Dave”?
Daves seem to be predisposed to Richie compasses that are 10 degrees off, pre WWII stuff, and Nevada.

it is curious that hunter has only made one post since 2010, but comes swinging through for WLA

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m inspired by the whole Richie compass-navigating with the stars thing brought on by WLA-Hunter and was wondering if anyone has successfully installed one of these in a LR3? It’s so much cooler looking than the OEM shifter.
E85382F6-D3CA-4B02-869D-695917C3D7F5.jpeg

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
and hunter accused us of not having imagination...

·
Bleeds Green
126 Posts
WLA-derangement syndrome prejudices you against fun, and perfectly valid modifications, and you rob your fellow forum members access to diversity of ideas and perspectives.
Our what syndrome? And you think they're perfectly valid modifications? Comeon... WLA spreads so much misinformation and cockamamie schemes on here that some poor person might fall for. Read the thread on increasing his RPM to "sound like a V-12". Read the thread on wanting to boil a sensor because MPGs varied within refinery tolerances. Read the thread about $160+ tanks of leaded race gas. Read the tread on the fire extinguisher prone to offgassing suffocating gas that he was going to bolt to his disco for looks. Read the thread on moly grease. Read the thread on his trashed engine from "gunning" it up a highway with no oil in it. Read the thread on wanting a bumper that can withstand a deer/cow strike at 70mph while blasting through "Area 51". Read the thread on wanting to install this very same compass you mention... oh wait... you already did, WLA-Hunter.

There's no "derangement syndrome" here - simple annoyance with someone who wastes our time. And here we are again...

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
Since “hunter “ no longer owns a Landrover I will remove home fry our roster.
Thanks for your input “Hunter “

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Since “hunter “ no longer owns a Landrover I will remove home fry our roster.
Thanks for your input “Hunter “

You are 100% mistaken and seeing gremlins were there are none. This person is absolutely not me.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Sorry but this person is not me. But he's 100% correct and I'm very happy to see there are other owners who are more opened minded than you guys.

Take a look at his posts and # of years he's been here. This person is completely not me.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Our what syndrome? And you think they're perfectly valid modifications? Comeon... WLA spreads so much misinformation and cockamamie schemes on here that some poor person might fall for. Read the thread on increasing his RPM to "sound like a V-12". Read the thread on wanting to boil a sensor because MPGs varied within refinery tolerances. Read the thread about $160+ tanks of leaded race gas. Read the tread on the fire extinguisher prone to offgassing suffocating gas that he was going to bolt to his disco for looks. Read the thread on moly grease. Read the thread on his trashed engine from "gunning" it up a highway with no oil in it. Read the thread on wanting a bumper that can withstand a deer/cow strike at 70mph while blasting through "Area 51". Read the thread on wanting to install this very same compass you mention... oh wait... you already did, WLA-Hunter.

There's no "derangement syndrome" here - simple annoyance with someone who wastes our time. And here we are again...
It's not misinformation because you can't understand it. Trying to explain it to you is like trying to explain interior design with an accountant. It just doesn't click.

I DID increase the throttle to sound more beefy. It DOES work. If you are willing to pay more in gas to sound cool. That's my choice and I like the way it sounds. It stands out. Boiling the sensor was just an idea to see if I could trick it into reading higher temps to trick the ECU into saving on gas. Just like boiling a thermometer. It was just an idea. You lack imagination and dump on it because it doesn't "click" . Like the Tibet monk said "in the begineers mind there is endless possibility but in the experts mind very few". That describes most of you guys pretty well. Thanks to the other poster who is NOT ME and has been posting here a long time for elluding to this.

I had to "gun" it up the curve due to a safely issue. Couldn't see around the curve of the mountain in time. I could've been rear ended by other drivers and hurt someone. I had to risk ruining the engine vs. someone getting hurt because my fan exploded. I also used flares to guide the cars away. Even with 1 car that didn't work They barely missed me and the cop. The cop called his car in up the road. So you see I was forced to "gun it". It was for a GOOD REASON you jerk.

Whats wrong with trying to figure out if it's possible to buy a bumper that could better deflect a deer and save the car? Nothing. You remind me of an old guy -with no imagination.

The compass is awesome. I like it. I don't care if you like it or not. I can't get the 2004 compass mirror to connect on a 1999. That is the only want to get what I want. Area 51 is also awesome. I went on day with zero visitors. I put a Russian license plate on my Rover before I went ... and was followed by very serious looking guy with an earpeice and sunglasses. That was fun.

Have you ever been there? nope!

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
WLA, you probably created that alter ego during one of your many “time outs” on the forum.

although, it’s entirely possible that he’s a distinct individual, because it’s statistically unlikely that you’re the only person on the planet that is so damned —......

i hope that somebody with more time and energy than myself will create a “best of WLA” highlighting all of the poorly worded, foolishly motivated, and asinine content that you’ve “contributed” to this forum.

discovering is off to a great start, but it’s only the tip of the iceberg. Maybe if you have a chance to review your own buffoonery, you’ll understand why nobody believes anything you say

·
Bleeds Green
126 Posts
It's not misinformation because you can't understand it
Perhaps you need to revisit the discussions. Please see the lengthy explanations from many members, including myself, telling you that the things you think of just do not work and why. No imagination will make "boiling" a sensor change how it works. No imagination will make your car survive an animal strike at speed - unless you somehow manage to strap a D8 blade to the front. No amount of fantasy and imagination will make moly the right grease for the needle bearings in your driveshaft. Navigating by an inaccurate maritime compass is absolutely ignorant. If you want to land-nav, get a compass and get out of your vehicle, get out your topo map and sight nav / dead recon. Yes. I know how. I learned in the Army, so yes, I can opine.

Comeon man - you write this stuff... YOU know how those threads go. You argue against fact with fantasy. Your "imagination" can be downright dangerous and damaging to vehicles. Somebody has to come along and say "no - don't put moly in your driveshaft and here's why." or else someone else might follow your fantasy.

WLA's next post: "Do you guys think I could modify the Klingon lasers I found at Area 51 when I had my Russian license plates to fit on my sun visors so I can shoot the photons from the sun to make fewer of them reach my vehicle so it'll be darker? Kind of like how those Bose headphones work but with light." Then WLA's next fake account will say "Oh wow - you're so imaginative and brilliant! I'm going to do that too!! Tell me more about your amazing adventures, WLA! You must be James Bond!"

you jerk.
tssk tssk tssk... you're name calling now? Ha - ok. That's cool.

Maybe we, as a group, can use our imagination to help him modify his car in interesting ways to improve the looks and performance. For example, I hear moving your air intake inside the wheel right behind the tire keeps fresh, turbulent air coming in to make your car faster. It also makes you get better gas mileage. When you drive in the rain it helps steam-clean your piston rings for a better compression ratio to help maximize race gas. But it only works if you run your tires at 90psi. Also, have you heard of the gains when you run 100% octane boost in your tank? It takes a while to fill up but whooooo boy! Porsches beware!

·
very disco
1,182 Posts
I think the worst part is that is all conjecture, loosely based on the concept of WLA owning this truck, which is dwindling in likelihood by the post.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can't get the 2004 compass mirror to connect on a 1999.
I was able to do this on my '99. It wasn't plug and play but with a little deductive reasoning and a multimeter I was able to figure it out. Unfortunately it was far too many years ago for me to remember the wiring, and no, I'm not pulling down my mirror to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reading the posts online. We have a richie compass on our sailboat docked near eastern lake Ontario. But didn't think to use it the rover. This is really funny. Good entertainment. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts