Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this marine compass that looks great and can be mounted on the right side of the instrument cluster with a 52 mm pod. It has wiring for night lights too. Metals or electric feilds will create electrical interference but the spot next to the instrument cluster is good. It's off 10 degrees at night only when the lights are on. It can also be mounted on the roof with a pod for backseat viewers.

Looks very cool. It cannot, however be mounted on the left side of the instrument cluster for some reason there is interference. The price is good too.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
So it’s an Awesome looking - unneeded inaccurate compass that can be viewed from the back seat?
Sounds good to me..... what a find thanks for sharing 👍
Have you ever noticed the compass built into the rear view mirror????
Also somewhat useless BUT can be viewed day and night .... even from the back seat 😉

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
a second compass that "looks cool" but is inaccurate. what on earth is the point? if you invested in an off-road GPS system, you could mount that anywhere, and it would give you a lot more information than +/- 10 degrees lol.

but again, this is all hypothetical right?

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever noticed the compass built into the rear view mirror????
I already put in a 2004 mirror with a compass. The compass does not work because I have a 1999.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a second compass that "looks cool" but is inaccurate. what on earth is the point? if you invested in an off-road GPS system, you could mount that anywhere, and it would give you a lot more information than +/- 10 degrees lol.

but again, this is all hypothetical right?

A GPS system needs a signal to work. A GPS won't work in the Jar Bridge Wilderness, Patagonia, Dalton Highway Alaska, Australian Outback etc. I would have to purchase then pay a high subscriber fee for an RV satellite internet dome.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Prove it😉

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
My Rover doesn't look like that dude.
Yeah, your rover looks like this:

(Space intentionally left blank)

also, when the heck are you ever making it to Patagonia? Or the outback? Or Alaska even? You might as well just scrap the whole truck because it won’t work on the moon.

·
Drives like an old man
391 Posts
Idiot: GPS needs NOTHING from the ground. GPS uses SATELLITES (the "S" in "GPS"). You can use GPS in Antarctica, Africa, Alaska and Altoona. Please stop trolling. It was funny at first but now I hope you get banned.

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
All of your logic, reason, and experience is worthless when combatting a troll.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually the "S" in "GPS" stands for "System". Global Positioning "System".

Idiot: GPS needs NOTHING from the
ground. GPS uses SATELLITES (the "S" in "GPS"). You can use GPS in Antarctica, Africa, Alaska and Altoona. Please stop trolling. It was funny at first but now I hope you get banned.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
FACT : A GPS DOES NOT WORK EVERYWHERE.-

You need a signal tower or a satellite subscription just like with your cell phone. A SATELLITE GPS SYSTEM can take you the wrong way. And it wont work through bad weather and sometimes has a long delay.

I discovered this the hard way when I got lost on a long forest road north east of Area 51 with no GPS signal on my Tom Tom. I had already gotten stuck and when leaving the wilderness it was starting to rain making the road conditions more hazardous. In that area their are water crossings, flash floods, and roads turn to clay. I was supposed to be going Southwest back to Rachael, NV and ended up going the wrong way on that forest road. I could not find the compass it was buried in the car somewhere. I was down to 3/4 tank of gas in the middle of nowhere AND I had to go another 100 to the nearest gas station in Almo, NV after I reached Rachael, NV.

So yes I can depend on a topographic GPS unit but if it doesn't work when I need it - it's useless. Also what about self reliability? None of you seriously have a compass when you go off-road?? Seriously??? Do you also not take any emergency rations or gasoline?

"buuuuuh what I do I need a compass for I have GPS buuuuuuh"

A compass comes in handy for an emergency. It's traditional. It looks cool. That's why. These vehicles are called "Discovery" yet Land Rover did not put a mirror compass in until 03. Its missing on all the 99-02 models.

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.
GPS is satellite. Only aerial obstructions will prevent real GPS from working. If you were relying on your smartphone then that’s dumb. Anything involving towers uses triangulation not GPS, and while a compass isn’t the right tool, whatever you (say you) have isn’t the right tool either.

we have GPS satellites in geosynchronous orbit covering every inch of the planet and if the US military trusts GPS to smash around the Middle East, it’s more than enough to get you from Hollywood blvd to Santa Monica. if you’re lost in Patagonia, have fun with your +/- 10 degree marine compass. If a compass was TRULY helpful you’d get a pocket compass, get out of your Hyundai Tucson, and get an ACCURATE reading of where to go, not an inaccurate reading from your dash mount that looks cool.

a compass is not traditional except amongst children learning how to tie square knots and whittle sticks. It also looks fucking stupid because you’re not in a boat or the 1900s. I’m pretty sure the malls you drive around have the exits clearly marked anyway. There’s a difference between emergency equipment like gas and food and water and some boy scout trinket you bought because it looks cool
If you were lost in NV you should’ve used your HAM with your firestik. Oh that’s right. You don’t have any of that crap, and even if you did it would only be for show.

get outta here

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.
GPS is satellite. Only aerial obstructions will prevent real GPS from working.

WRONG. Bad weather can prevent it from working OR if the service doesn't have coverage or is not working. And in the location I was at it did not work.

Answer this question YES OR NO: GPS works all the time. Wherever. Whenever. YES OR NO.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.