Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
Inclement weather can create an “aerial obstruction” but this isn’t standard rain or clouds. The likelihood of a weather obstruction of a quality GPS receiver is not worth mention.

willfully installing a compass that you acknowledge will be inaccurate and claiming that it’s a worthwhile measure is stupid.

Here’s my answer: GPS works 99.999% of the time. A silly little compass that you bury in your dashboard and reports inaccurately because of EMF from your mounting location works 0% of the time

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Inclement weather can create an “aerial obstruction” but this isn’t standard rain or clouds. The likelihood of a weather obstruction of a quality GPS receiver is not worth mention.

willfully installing a compass that you acknowledge will be inaccurate and claiming that it’s a worthwhile measure is stupid.

Here’s my answer: GPS works 99.999% of the time. A silly little compass that you bury in your dashboard and reports inaccurately because of EMF from your mounting location works 0% of the time

Yes or no please.

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
Pics of your truck please

·
G4 Mike
91 Posts
FACT : A GPS DOES NOT WORK EVERYWHERE.-

You need a signal tower or a satellite subscription just like with your cell phone. A SATELLITE GPS SYSTEM can take you the wrong way. And it wont work through bad weather and sometimes has a long delay.

I discovered this the hard way when I got lost on a long forest road north east of Area 51 with no GPS signal on my Tom Tom. I had already gotten stuck and when leaving the wilderness it was starting to rain making the road conditions more hazardous. In that area their are water crossings, flash floods, and roads turn to clay. I was supposed to be going Southwest back to Rachael, NV and ended up going the wrong way on that forest road. I could not find the compass it was buried in the car somewhere. I was down to 3/4 tank of gas in the middle of nowhere AND I had to go another 100 to the nearest gas station in Almo, NV after I reached Rachael, NV.

So yes I can depend on a topographic GPS unit but if it doesn't work when I need it - it's useless. Also what about self reliability? None of you seriously have a compass when you go off-road?? Seriously??? Do you also not take any emergency rations or gasoline?

"buuuuuh what I do I need a compass for I have GPS buuuuuuh"

A compass comes in handy for an emergency. It's traditional. It looks cool. That's why. These vehicles are called "Discovery" yet Land Rover did not put a mirror compass in until 03. Its missing on all the 99-02 models.
I think you are confusing cell phone Google map type directions with the Global GPS system. I have a hand held Garmin GPS with topo maps that we used to hike 72 miles in Philmont, NM. No phone signals. Never failed us and as Boy scouts we used our paper topo map and compass to confirm our location. Any man made thing can fail, even the simple compass.

However as the US military relies on those satellites they will probably be up 99+% of the time, until of course the aliens invade and use them as a count down clock against us before the invasion.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think you are confusing cell phone Google map type directions with the Global GPS system. I have a hand held Garmin GPS with topo maps that we used to hike 72 miles in Philmont, NM. No phone signals. Never failed us and as Boy scouts we used our paper topo map and compass to confirm our location. Any man made thing can fail, even the simple compass.

However as the US military relies on those satellites they will probably be up 99+% of the time, until of course the aliens invade and use them as a count down clock against us before the invasion.
As I have said before. I have a Tom Tom. It did not work.

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
TomTom is not the proper equipment for off grid exploration.

you must’ve had some cellular garbage considering you were talking about:

I would have to purchase then pay a high subscriber fee for an RV satellite internet dome.
you don’t need internet access for GPS.

also, you seem to want boat and airplane ****, so why not add RV to the mix? Maybe there’s something cool on trains. Oooooh a barometer like on a submarine too. Maybe a little ringing bell like the bicycle.

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
TomTom is not the proper equipment for off grid exploration.

you must’ve had some cellular garbage considering you were talking about:

you don’t need internet access for GPS.

also, you seem to want boat and airplane ****, so why not add RV to the mix? Maybe there’s something cool on trains. Oooooh a barometer like on a submarine too. Maybe a little ringing bell like the bicycle.
Actually that's correct. As a matter of fact ... I was looking at installing an antique WWI altimeter used in a British Royal Airforce Biplane. That's called using your imagination. Something you would not know anything about.

My guess is you've worked hard to make your Rover look good, with very limited funds. You could make it look better but probably can't afford much of the equipment I've got -- that pisses you off. So you tell me my equipment sucks.

Maybe the best way to stop living paycheck to paycheck in a j.o.b (=just over broke) is to fire your boss and run your own business. Next decade you might be off your bank slave mortgage. Then you should have some extra cash to make your Rover look as good as mine. Feel free to use some of the suggestions I've made on this forum as a guide. Your welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
You could make it look better but probably can't afford much of the equipment I've got -- that pisses you off.....
I apologise in advance for the following.

I have a high level dergee in psychology so please take a friendly advice mate: meet a psychiatrist cos IMO some therapy(eventually medication) is needed... presumtive diagnostic: narcisistic personality disorder .... better read this Narcissistic personality disorder - Symptoms and causes and invest your big money in your health rather than in unusefull add-ons in a illusionary land rover

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
Your welcome.
sweet Christ man. When you combine the words YOU and ARE, you get the conjunction YOU’RE. Have a read here:

When you’ve mastered that we can move on to there, their, and they’re.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.