Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I want to get rid of the dex. No problem I am just going to use a flush in the truck for a day drain, then follow up with a couple water flushes and eventually it will be gone. Now confusing part, I have read that all of the "works with any color" coolants are basically DEX rebranded. So I picked up some coolant called FLO-PERM universal antifreeze and summer coolant, can anyone look here and let me know if this is plain old regular non engine screwing works well will not gum up antifreeze/coolant. I also bought a jug of the peak everyone is mentioning on here and it is a universal all color dex rebrand.

Redirect Notice

· Registered
202 Posts
I used peak for a while but I heard so many bad things about it I flushed the system and switched to Audi/Volkswagen G13 coolant. I think anyone with a Rover V8 should switch to this coolant when starting from scratch.

Don't forget to use distilled water.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live on the shores of lake huron, beautiful but not so close to dealerships. I basically need something I can grab at Walmart or off brand from the local parts store. kinda hicktown. So what am I asking for, chemically when I go looking for something other then dex. did you check out the Flo Perm? I got it from the local parts place, is it correct? heres the link

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...b7gLgO&usg=AFQjCNG64Js668AVxLcmtZVOte_WSK23Rw

· Registered
202 Posts
I'm on a ship which is heading for Lake Huron. We will be in Goderich tomorrow evening. Currently in the Detroit River waiting for an Icebreaker.

Anyhow G13 would be my only recommendation. I don't like the "universal" stuff.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet deal, I am about an hour north of goderich. I was actually setting up to be a chef on one of the ships that cruise and ship around the lakes, I am coast guard aux. Had our children and the 3 month away schedule stopped that job real fast. I have a friend who is working aboard one of the lakers.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you have a guy named Matt on board? not sure what hes on. I continued to be a chef for a bit but now am A photographer, wish I could grab a few shots of the freighter and some sunsets you get to see, really hope you enjoy your work, must be hard but some great benefits as long as you don't get too used to them and turn them into just an everyday occurance.

· certified idiot
694 Posts
I use zerex G5 in mine - have done for at least 5 years now - just about any HOAT will work just fine though nice thing about the zerex is that you can get it at oreilleys or walmart and its spec for my other modern cars.
I use the same as optimus in my diesel jetta but it is sometimes a bugger to get hold of - not everyone stocks it.

You'll have to post a few pics of that Sulzer 6RD76 diesel Optimus - I haven't been in an engine room since I worked oilers in the north sea in the mid 70's :grin
cheers
Barri

· Registered
202 Posts
I probably went with G13 coolant because it's what my Wife's A3 uses and I have read very few negative comments about it on the Audi forums. Also, a few people over on Dweb recommended it. I always keep a couple of gallons in the garage. I like to drain and refill the coolant in both vehicles once a year. Not a complete flush I just pull the lower rad hose and replace what comes out. Which seems to be about half of what the system holds in both cases. I try to do a flush every few years if I have time.

I enjoy working on the Lakes. Recently we cracked the main engine forward turbo exhaust inlet casing while running in heavy ice. The picture (sorry for the poor quality) is of me while replacing the rotor.

Sulzer 6RD76, Built 1966, Bore 760 mm (30"), Stroke 1550 mm (61"), 9600 hp.

Attachments

· certified idiot
694 Posts
great photo Optimus - Takes me back a bit - nothing quite like being able to get into a bore to weld up a defect
keep well
Barri

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.