Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations for sliders for a 1995 LWB Classic?? Feedback on the following, or suggestions on others would be nice:
Rovertym
DAP
Red Rhino
OTHERS???????????

:drink1:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
There is a number of aftermarket rock sliders available but I don't remember who makes/sells them. You could try the sponsor of this forum "Red Rhino". Mine are custom made. They are made from 2mm (1/10th inch) stainless steel; carry water on one side, and engine oil on the other.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Jonesy,

a few things to consider:

are the sliders painted or powdercoated,
how do they attach to the sills,
do they attach to the frame also,
are they jackable,
will they bend if you hit a rock...

I had a set that bent and wouldn't allow me to open the door, and they rusted very quickly.....

I would not recommend the DAP ones (most of the stuff DAP sells is inexpensive but the quality isn't great).

Just my experience.

Good luck.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers fellas - John: I met Steve from Rovertym last weekend and I think I will be going with that solution - they are used as jackpoints for the hi lift jack so no worries their, they also stick out enough to use as side steps...as LRR219 said - they are awesome!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Jonesy said:
Cheers fellas - John: I met Steve from Rovertym last weekend and I think I will be going with that solution - they are used as jackpoints for the hi lift jack so no worries their, they also stick out enough to use as side steps...as LRR219 said - they are awesome!
There are no holes on the slider for a jack, if you decide to use a hi-lift under the jack make sure it's on level ground, if not the jack can slip and hurt someone or damage the vehicle.

Do they still paint them? Do they still use rivnuts?

I had one of the first sets of RTE sliders on my RR (when JBS owned the place) and they bent. John told me to insert a piece of metal between the sills and the slider so that I could open my doors. The day I removed the sliders I just kicked one side off since the rivnuts had loosened...

I hope Steve has improved on the design.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Jonesy,

I'm not trying to be a prick, but I think it's important for you to get some feedback on the product you plan on purchasing. Don't do what I did years ago and purchase a set of sliders because someone said that the person making them was a nice guy, buy a product that works and will last.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Jonesy, I was also at the Spring Rallye last weekend ( silver RR that says "HANG OVER" on back)--

Anyway, RoverTym Steve makes some pretty burly rocksliders, they have changed a little for the better and he can put holes in them for jack-adapters if you want

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Onya Nomar!!! I remember you well J!! I had the green RRC, with the licence plate GDAY M8E.

I have posted pix on the muddyoval website. Of course your "Hang Over" was not featured because you were with the "agressive" group....ps that RRC of your's is an inspiration aka money pit for the rest of us!!!!!

CHEERS MATE! :drink1:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Of course you know what you need to do.....keep your LWB in good condition(since it is in such good shape) and get one that has been beat up a bit to use on the trails!

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Hey Mercedesrover, Speak up.

Jim had a set of Rovertyms on his SWB rangie, and said they were tougher than nails. I thought the welds could have been neater and I think it was paint, not PC, But Jim may have painted them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Alot of people are getting sliders bare and just using rattle-can finish ( much easier to touch up later) I don't care who does your powder-coating, it will get beat up on sliders & bumpers if you use them!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Rockware... I know these ones work.. my buddy has used them many times.
When i get the $$ that is what i am buying, or i'll stay cheap and build my own..

·
Registered
13 Posts
My rovertym bumpers are powder coated but were scratched 2 days after I installed them. Arent these things for off roading? They look better scratched.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
That's true, they will get scratched. The only problem with the RTE was that they bent up into my doors after hitting a large rock, I couldn't open my PS door after that. John Bradley recommended I put a spacer in between the slider and the sill. Also, getting those rivnuts in was a PIA. In the end when I removed the sliders from my RR I just removed a few bolts and then kicked the slider off with a few bolts still in.

I hope they improved their sliders.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.