Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the elusive roof rack extensions that I've heard were available for Disco 1s some time ago?
Can you adapt a second set of racks by cutting them down and somehow attaching them at the back of a pair on the vehicle?
I want to attach a covering (aluminum, fiberglass?) over the entire roof to carry stuff, keep the inside cooler and also keep some of the rain out...

Thanks, Pavel

· Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
ih... those look like very strong (heavy) racks to me. I want something lower, lighter, cheaper and just a continuation of the OEM Disco rack.

Thanks for the link, Pavel.
The extensions were only for D2's. They're too long for a D1 if I recall correctly. I think someone cut and modified them to make them work on a D1, but its not a simple bolt on deal.

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fishEH.

A picture of how the extensions are attached to the OEM D2 rack would be great. I'm tempted to buy a used pair of D1 racks and see how to cut the front angles off. It might be as simple as drilling into the existing rear leg casting and adding a 'pin'... then adapting to a shortened second pair. Then again, I'm notorious for thinking custom work will be "easy" and straight forward!

I have to deal with sagging headlining (next summer?) and so want to be ready with any roof-related improvements at that time.

Found this: https://www.google.ca/search?q=Land...KAhXHqx4KHalwAk0QsAQIJw#imgrc=DQfMpjG8_jcPKM:

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, based on the picture in the link above and the instructions for installation, there should be a plugged hole facing rearward in the rear legs of the D2 standard rack. I must find a D2 to see that hole. If it is there, I could find a used D2 front rack and then cobble together an extended set for my D1. If this works out, I'll post the procedure.

Any further information is appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.