Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a couple of days ago I read about someone's high roof rack made noises when he went about 80mph. is that common with other roof racks? sometimes I just can't go under 80mph, makes me sleepy and this other time i did more than 110mph ( i guess cant do that again with heavy gears next time)

second, is there any other roof rack besides the safety devices from EE that need not to drill holes and rip of the ceiling to have it installed? and im looking for full roof rock, not the half one.

im considering either the roof rack or a front bumper (ARB / TJM) both have pros and cons and both look pretty similar (from the pictures).

glad to hear your opinions specially from own experiences. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
My Yakima is quiet on my RRC!!! but it's not a full rack...well mine is!!

·
2,986 Posts
80mph... My truck doesn't go that fast :( My roof rack makes noise... even if i'm going like 35mph.. but between that and the mud tires I have on there, I just turn my radio louder.

Safety Devices makes the genuine one, North West Parts (www.northwestparts.com) offers one that is extremely similiar, but a lot cheaper. The only other full-rack that i'm away of is the Hannibal one, but i'm not a fan of the looks of it (But it does have the advantage of being flat, therefore nice for a roof-tent). Neither need to be drilled.

If it's between ARB and TJM, go with TJM.. a little better styled, better approach angle, and cheaper! (My favorite bumper right now though is a RoverTym A-Bar one)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yours makes noise when going 35mph...hmmm, well I guess I can tolerate the sound that mud tires make but rattling sound from the roof rack kinda annoying even if i know that its okay.

yeah i saw the hannibal one with the tents. im pretty sure it's gonna be more comfortable when you sleep with that flat roof rack, but then again im with you about the look of it on a Disco but will look good on a 110.

the rovertym A bar is too slim for me, i dont really want to go with that look, of course on the trail it'll give me a lot of advantage though.

Maybe i'll go with the TJM, and you're right, I noticed TJM's a little better styled.

forget to mention mine is '02 DII

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I am planning on getting the basket..with the extensions it will cover all of the roof..I have mounted a wood plank to the roof and pitched a tent on top..red neck but it worked!! I am still building!!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Choqiees said:
you mounted a wood plank on the roof and pitched a tent on top...sounds good to me.
Worked great..... I made an awning out of a tarp..It was the entire ******* set-up...I'll find some pics..Hopefully!!!!

·
2,986 Posts
It doesn't make any rattling noises at all.. it just kinda sounds like an airplane is landing on top of me.. you get used to it real fast.. the noises aren't bothersome at all.. just dont expect to be able to drive down the high way, talking on the cellphone with all the windows open.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll find some pics..Hopefully!!!!
you better... :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: lol

the noises aren't bothersome at all..
i need :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

it just kinda sounds like an airplane is landing on top of me.. you get used to it real fast..
more :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

wow sounds like an airplane landing on top of you even when you go 35...if you closed the windows then it would be like buzzing sounds? some of my folks here that would likely go on a ride on my DII are pretty much of a :complain: :complain: .

its a tough one now to decide...hmmm thanks guys those opinions are greatly appreciated. i guess i just have to postpone the roof rack

·
Registered
709 Posts
The noise isn't that bad... I had the Northwestparts rack for a while and wasn't that bothered by it...
My problem was parking... One time it took us almost an hour trying to find parking in San Francisco :complain: I finally just pulled into a garage and hoped it didn't hit...

The thing is to never forget it is up there :D and the noise is what helps...

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that sums it up. unfortunately here in San Diego the basements at downtowa are pretty low, about 8" something and im pretty sure that the roof rack wont go through. that leaves me with the TJM then.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've got a safety devices highlander low profile, which requires removal of the roof rails on a stock disco. It is louder than hell at highway speed. They make a fiberglass fairing that goes between the roof and the bottom of the rack so no wind gets underneath it. I'm thinking of making a clear lexan cover and mounting 4 hella 4000's behind it. My Surco rack on my RRC is not as noisy but I also have it set way back with lights on the front.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the SD racks on both my DII and my wife's FL and they never make rattling sounds. Ryan is right, it's more like a low pitched humming. With the FL it came with the SD bib and has roof lights so that helps a lot in breaking it up. With the DII its louder but then again like I read in one of the threads in another forum, that's what your radio is for. Between the sound of that and the sound of the BFG MT's, I dunno what's worse. But I can tell you this much, these are two things (rack and tires) I can't do without. ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Personally, I would go with the Rack, it just seems like it's more useable, you can put your spare up there and all your other stuff. In my RRC, one 265/76-16 spare takes up almost the entire trunck, leaving bareley any room for my other crap.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.